Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
saravanaboopati
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

File System Out of Resources

Hi,

I am getting error " File System Out of Resources "  in the Device. I am using 8300 BB When ever I am accessing File operation in the application. I am getting the above error.  But in simulator its working fine. No error while accessing those files in simulator. I also signed the cod files. 

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: File System Out of Resources

It sounds like your application is not properly closing connections to files.  BlackBerry handhelds allow a maximum of 16 open file connections at one time.  This is a cumulative limit that applies globally to all applications.  The following link shows how to correctly close connections.

How To - Close connections 
Article Number: DB-00530

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/How_To_...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
Artem

Hi Mark, I just wont to note that I had the same issue on Bold. My application works fine on 4.2 platform, but I receive the same exception on Bold.

I observed, that this exception occurs when several connections are closed by platform itself. I.e. when "connection closed" exception occurs. It looks like system doesn't close opened connections properly when exception is thrown.

FYI: in finally section I do all steps as it described in DB-00530 and it works fine on previous version of platform.

Once I started use a reliable connection on Bold (WiFi instead of carrier connection), errors stopped occur.

So, in my opinion, this issue has to be addressed to RIM's developers.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

The error mention above relates to using a FileConnection to access the built in memory of a BlackBerry handheld or a micro SD card.

What is the exact error and exception you are receiving and what actions are you taking?  If you are making direct TCP connections, please see this link.

What Is - Maximum number of simultaneous connections
Article Number: DB-00480

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
saravanaboopati

Got it

Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jwcas

Thank you very much MShom for your link to the article on "How to - Close Connections", I ran into the same problem with "net.rim.device.api.io.file.FileIOException: File system out of resources" and fixed following after closing the connections properly following the article. 
Please use plain text.
New Developer
davejohnson

If one is legitimately trying to download more than 8 files over the network and save them to the SD card (for example, to cache offline resources) will calls to connector block until there is an available file handle? Or is there some sort of connector manager / pool that can be used to avoid such a problem?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Schwoebel
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9950

I think there si something deeper going on here.  I'm using a Storm 9520 and have gone t hrough my code to make sure every Connection is getting closed and I am still running into this problem.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
StanDuncan
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Credo

This sent me to an article that did NOT describe how to close connections, but one on WHY I should close connections. I still don't know how. It did list seventy-five lines of code, that conceivably had I been a programmer, I might have been able to untangle, but nothing in the article discussed how to do it.
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Wait, you don't know how to close a connection? Have you tried "close"?
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.