Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

File System not ready from device memory of Bold 9700

Hi all,

Our team is developing an application which uses SQLite database.
We store the database to SDCard. But the performance of the app got down.

So we switch to Device Memory. The app is working using device memory on 9530, 9550 Storm devices.

Coming to Bold 9700, 9650 the app is able to create the Database schema on the device memory location, but when am trying to open the database, it is throwing an error with message
"File System not ready. File System Error"

But according to the documentation in 5.0 API <http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/5.0.0api/net/rim/device/api/database/DatabaseFactory.html..., it is mentioned that the
*"Note: A SD card is the preferred storage for databases, currently Storm and Bold are the devices that can create databases with internal memory. "

I also googled for sample apps which are working with SQLite database stored in device memory of Bold, but I didn't find any one.

When I go for *SDCard*,  the database is creating and able to access, works in all Storm, Bold devices.

But, I go for  *Device Memory* the problem starts !!
It works fine on Strom 9530, 9550 devices, but throws an error on Bold 9700, 9650 devices.

I request you to suggest me what is the reason for this issue and a fix for this?

Many Thanks !!

Thanks and Regards,
PraveenGoparaju.
Developer

Re: File System not ready from device memory of Bold 9700

any updates guys??

Thanks and Regards,
PraveenGoparaju.
New Contributor
My Device: 9500
My Carrier: developer

I encountered the same problem.:smileyindifferent:

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Verizon

Database db = DatabaseFactory.create(FileURL);

I receive the message "File system not ready" at the line above on a Bold 9700 simulator and device.

Is there actually a bug filed with RIM about this so I can tell my Product Manager that I'm not crazy.

--Todd

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600) | Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07) | Eclipse Version: 3.6.2 [M20110210-1200] | BlackBerry Eclipse Plug-in: 1.3.0.201102031007-19 | Java Compiler level: 1.3 | Targeting devices running OS 5 | Simulators: JDE 5.0 packaged 9700, 9630, 9300
Developer

Can you tell us the URL you have used?

The issue here I think is the definition of 'device memory'.  Some devices have what is effectively a built-in SDCard, that is located at store (rather than SDCard).  You can use this for SQLite databases.

I thknk this Thread explains the setup better than I could:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/FileConnection-root-names-and-application-fo...

New Developer

HI Peter,

I have gone through the link you have suggested here. But for the above mentioned "DatabaseIOException- File system not ready " i am not able to find any solution. Is it something like the BlackBerry OS, doesn't supports creating  SQLite database ( DatabaseFactory.openOrCreate(uri, new DatabaseSecurityOptions(false)):smileywink: on "file:///store/home/user/"?

Thanks,

Raghav

Developer

Can you browse to that location using the Explorer supplied with the Media Player?

Are you doing this at device start-up?