Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Files generated during the compile

There are a bunch of files that are generated during the compile of an application.  What do these files do and what are they for (i am a noob) ?

.cod - I am assuming that this is the application?  Even though it seems to be a ZIP file. 

.jar - I don't understand the purpose of this file?  What is the purpose of this file, if we already have the .cod file?

.cso - What is it?

.jad - I am assuming this is a manifest of some type?

.rapc - Another manifest of some type?

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Files generated during the compile

.cod - this is the application.  If it is a ZIP file, that means you have a large application and it has exceeded a code size limit, in which case the compiler packs the individual cods into a single ZIP file to make management easier.  Search the forum using the term Sibling for more details

.jar - this is the standard java version of the compiled application.  So the cod files are the RIM repackaging of this.  You can recreated your cod form this.  In addition, for 'Library' applications that are used by other applications, you can 'import' from these and so reuse the same Library.

.cso and others.  Used by the Signing tool to determine which signatures that you need to get

.jad - this is the file that you use to do Over The Air (OTA) installation

.rapc - never looked at this file, believe it is the output form the RAPC compiler, which is used to the compilations,

You will find more information on these in the Developer Guide.