Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Finding the virtual Network ID

In the UK, we really only have a handful of carriers with masts, but we have a number of carriers that are not real carriers, but are virtual, in that the mobile network is basically skinned and they use the masts belonging to someone else.

However when I ask for the RadioInfo for one of these users, I get the Network name (RadioInfo.getCurrentNetworkName()) and MNC for the real carrier. 

But I'd like to be able to determine the virtual carrier.  Any ideas?

Developer
My Device: 9700

Re: Finding the virtual Network ID

Hi @

The only thing that I came up with is using a web service. Either use your own which maps the MNC & MCC to the carrier or use a third party like: http://whois.arin.net/ui which checks the device IP address.

Hope that helps,

E.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately checking the MCC and MNC doesn't help - they seem to be, at least in my testing, the same as the underlying real carrier.

Not sure about your suggestion of attempting to use IP address.  This will of course be the gateway, so if I am using BIS-B or BES as transport, as this app does, then the IP address will not reflect the device - in one case it will reflect the corporate, in the other RIM!  I'm going to have to use WAP2 or direct TCP to see a difference.  Do you agree? 

Developer
My Device: 9700

You are right, you will have to use WAP2 or direct TCP to get a "relevant" IP address for the resolving.

Regarding the first point, I think that each virtual network has its own MNC within the real carrier.

BTW, you can also try and investigate the IMSI with a web service.

Hope that helps,

E.