Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
jonberry
My Device: Not Specified

Firewall & IT Policy

If my app does NOT make any connections to a BES should

I be able to make any other conenctions (eg. WiFi, BIS, TCP, WAP, File)

without getting the split pipe error message even if the user

is connected to a BES?

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Firewall & IT Policy

I'm not a developer (that's my disclaimer for posting something that's wrong in the developer's area!) but I do know that I have apps that connect to other connections without getting that error.  I'm on a BES.  I have apps that ONLY connect to wap (apn) and I don't get the error.  However, I'm not sure if all IT policy will allow this so it could be related to that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
ryandevore

I'm not positive on this, but I think that file connections are private.

Our application runs into problems when non-BES device's have their firewall enabled (we have to have users turn it off, which is not ideal).  Our application uses BIS to connect to the internet, and also uses the FileConnection API to write data files to the store/home/user path.

So what I guess I'm saying is that from my experience, you can still run into problems even if you are not going through a BES...

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

Oh, ok..."not" connected to a BES.  I'll have to bow out and let someone who knows the development side better than me come in and help.

The connections can be funny, though.  I installed an app on a non BES device-no policy and firewall off.  I got the split pipe error when the firewall was off and had to turn on the firewall to get rid of it (I wouldn't think it should work this way...seems opposite to me.)  Same app on a BES device and it worked fine.  Someone else will need to explain!

Message Edited by John_Clark on 12-31-2008 10:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
jonberry

The split pipe error seems extremely inconsistent to me.

I've seen cases where the firewall was locked although the user was never on BES and there is no IT policy on the device. 

I've seen cases where non BES users have to turn off the firewall to use Wifi.

I've seen cases where non BES users have to turn ON the firewall to make other connections.

It seems to depend on the particular model and OS version.

I wish this was documented or at least someone could answer my original question.

-Jon