Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
m-romanuik
My Device: Storm 9530
Accepted Solution

FontManager; CustomFonts

Heyy,

I am trying to use my own custom font and reading the documentation it states that the .ttf file cannot be larger than 60kb. However my true-type font file is 63.3kb :smileysad: .. Does anyone know or can suggest a way that i can lower the size of this file by editing it or compressing it somehow?

Mitchell Romanuik.

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: FontManager; CustomFonts

Have you tried this size?  I seem to remember loading a font that was bigger than this. 

Developer
m-romanuik

for some strange reason the loading of the font doesn't work.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/11958/Load_and_use_a_custom_font_899948_11.jsp

I have been using this sample to help me out. I have the code within my screen and passes it along to my field. The field then calls graphics.setFont(this.getFont()).. However I debugged my program and font wont load inside the screen. Im guessing its because the file is too large. Perhaps I should read the file from the inputstream. However I do not know how to approach this from this direction.

Developer
m-romanuik

This is my solution. Instead of loading directly from file I used the inputStream..

InputStream stream = this.getClass().getResourceAsStream("font.ttf");
        if (FontManager.getInstance().load(stream, "MyFont", FontManager.APPLICATION_FONT) == FontManager.SUCCESS){
            try{
                FontFamily family = FontFamily.forName("MyFont");
                Font myFont = family.getFont(Font.PLAIN, 50);
                gamer.getInfo().setFont(myFont);
            } 
            catch (ClassNotFoundException e){System.out.println(e.getMessage());}
        }

Mitchell Romanuik.