Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
bleucalme
My Device: Not Specified

Force virtualkeyboard layout

Hi,

How can I force HW_LAYOUT_TOUCHSCREEN_12 in my application without having a textfield? I have only a FullScreen and I want to show the keyboard with only the digits.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Force virtualkeyboard layout

Unfortunately there is not an API for this. You might try showing the keyboard and using the EventInjector to input a lock on the ALT key (!,123) but that may not work either.

Tim

Tim Windsor
Application Development Advisor II
Please use plain text.
New Developer
zraz
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Force virtualkeyboard layout

Stealing this thread...

I have a very similar problem and hope that you can give me some ideas on how to move forward.

I have a FullScreen screen where I want to receive all keypresses. Using a combination of keyChar (for symbol keys) and keyDown/keyUp works good for me. The only problem is the virtual keyboard layout, hence this post. 

I want the keyboard layout to reflect the type of input that I expect. Some times it is an URL type of field, some times it might be a number and so on. Right now I feel stuck, and the only solutions I come up with are the following: 

1. Use the virtual keyboard the way I do. I will get keyDowns but the keyboard layout will always be the same

2. Use blackberry fields for input which will give me the keyboard layout I want. Problem is, then I won't get keyChar/keyDown events the way I want (since I won't get keyDown etc when SureType takes over, as discussed in other threads).  

Any suggestions? Alternative solutions? Corrections? Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.