Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
dx22

Future of the Blackberry os

I am not quite familiar with everything but lately a lot has been said about the QNX and how it is going to be the new OS for the future blackberry smartphones( blackberry colt should apear in 2012).

So my question is what will be the options for us java developers with the new os? Will we be able to write java applications the way we are used to or the whole j2me based framework as we know it will be replaced?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the button to give kudos if I helped you :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Future of the Blackberry os

It is not known very well right now. If it will be anything like the PlayBook; it will run Adobe Air, Native Apps, Android, and Java (though J2ME or J2SE is unknown but it was mentioned that BB6 apps will be runnable)
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
shnuffy

That's the million dollar question.

There has been rumors the QNX will have an "app player" that will support the existing library of applications. However, how realistic or usable this would be is unknown.

That said, it would be incredibly imprudent for RIM to abandon it's existing app structure, and the dedicated developers that are required to keep RIM competitive.

If RIM is interested on keeping developers building for their platform, as they ought to be, they will surely not disaffect us by nullifying all the work that's been put into BB OS applications.

Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr

[ Edited ]

BB OS is a dead weight for RIM. Just like J2ME in general is having a slow agonizing death.

In 2-3 years if it isn't irrelevant and sidelined, it will be very near it.

That is if RIM even survives the QNX transition.

Please use plain text.