Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
fsa3
My Device: Not Specified

GPS Best Practice

When working with the GPS, what are some best/good practices for acquiring a GPS fix?  What is a good timeout estimate?  Should I attempt to get a fix manually before starting a listener? What other criteria settings are considered best practice in order to improve effectiveness of obtaining a fix.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: GPS Best Practice

I would recommand you start with the following document:

GPS and BlackBerry Maps Development Guide

This is packaged with the JDE.

Also Review these KB articles:

What Is - Best practices for designing GPS applications for BlackBerry smartphones operating on CDMA networks 
Article Number: DB-00671

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800703/What_Is...

What Is - Verizon GPSSettings signing requirement
Article Number: DB-00591
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800703/What_Is...

How To - Define criteria to retrieve a GPS fix
Article Number: DB-00461

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800703/How_To_...

Please use plain text.
Developer
fsa3

Thanks,

I've read most of these, I guess what i was looking for was practical advise on how to combine these settings to create a solution that works for most / all users.  Is it required to specialize  the criteria settings for each phone, carrier?  Are there generic settings that are 'safe' for most users?

Right now since I only have a single phone/carrier available to me it's hard to use a trial and  error approach to these settings.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

The only bit of general advise I have had comes from DevCon, in the session there they said if you want to keep the GPS chip hot but use the least amount of battery, an interval of 10 seconds was recommended. 

I'm not sure there are general settings that will work for all users, do all users require the same accuracy for example?

Sorry I can't help with respect to the criteria settings for each carrier.  Being in the UK I'm in the lucky position that all carriers allow standard GPS.

Please use plain text.
Developer
fsa3

Thanks - not sure if you saw the post I made on the other GPS thread.  What do you use for your timeout setting on the GPS Listener?  Does that control how long the BB will wait for a fix?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I did see your post, I answered as best I could.

FYI, I generally use 10 as my interval and set timeout and maxage to -1.  Bit of a cope out coding the defaults but I have no good reason to code anything else.  As noted elsewhere, this might only work because UK based BlackBerry devices are all GSM and not GPS locked in any way.  So YMMV.

Please use plain text.
Developer
haagmm

a good set of links, FYI autonomous GPS is supost to work without VZN key on the Storm.  I have heard reports otherwise but thats the party line.
Please use plain text.