If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
blokesak
My Device: Not Specified

GPS Location

Im new to blackberry development and I was wondering if someone could point me in a direction for two problems.

1.) Does anyone know where I can read up on making an application that could perform an action when the blackberry receives a message with a specific keyword in the subject of an email

2.) Is it possible to create a program that can invoke blackberry maps for its gps cord's.

In short Im on verizon which as many know blocks all 3rd party gps applications with the exception of bbmaps. Id like to create a program that when an email is sent to the phone with a keyphrase in the subject it would open blackberry maps and issue the send location command to a pre defined email address.

I hope this all makes sense Any help of where and what to read up on would be greatly appreciated Iv search for about four days now and havent found too many resources. Thank you for your time.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: GPS Location

[ Edited ]

To listen for Email messages, you implement a FolderListener interface. This interface catches events like "message added", "message removed", etc.  A copy of the message is passed to the listener methods. See the API docs.

BB Maps is not a GPS provider - you cannot invoke it to obtain GSP coordinates. What you *can* do is invoke it with GPS coordinates so that it will map those coordinates.

RIM implements JSR179 (LocationProvider API) for GPS. You would be well served to go ahead and download the JDE and look at the many sample applications (including a GPS sample) that are included with the distribution.

Message Edited by RexDoug on 12-30-2008 10:00 PM
Please use plain text.
New Developer
blokesak

Thank you for your response
Please use plain text.
New Developer
criccomini

With BlackBerry Storm and Verizon, I have successfully gotten GPS coords working. I'm not sure where you heard that Verizon blocks all GPS apps, but that's not true on the Storm with Verizon.

Chris

BlackBerry/Mobile Enthusiast - http://www.riccomini.name
Please use plain text.