Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
sheeluwiki
My Device: simulator
Accepted Solution

GPS information of another blackberry mobile

Hello everyone,

I wish to get the GPS information of another blackberry mobile in my mobile. (My GPS position is also monitored in my mobile. So is single blackberry mobile capable to monitor more than one GPS position at a time? OR is it good to get the GPS location of other mobile by some other communication like message ping features? OR Is there any other simplified way to do this?) I also need the data with good accuracy and the value should be refreshed in some quick interval.

Please advice me how can that be done programatically..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click "Accept as Solution" if post was what you needed. Give kudos if you feel response is helpful.

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: GPS information of another blackberry mobile

The only way you are going to be able to get that information generically is to have a program on the device that either responds to your requests (you could send an SMS asking for it for example), or sends the data to a server that you can then query.

There is no API that you can use to find out where another BlackBerry is.

Developer
sheeluwiki

Thanks for the reply Peter.

Is it good to use PIN messaging for the communication and how fast is that? Which is the fastest communication channel?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click "Accept as Solution" if post was what you needed. Give kudos if you feel response is helpful.

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

pin to pin should be pretty fast. i guess a direct connection (wifi, for example) would be even faster

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
sheeluwiki

Good suggestion.. But in my requirement the distance between devices is more. So in this case I think PIN messaging will be better..

Developer
peter_strange

So is that the problem solved then?  You will have some application on both BlackBerries and they can pass location using PIN to PIN message?

Developer
sheeluwiki

Problem solved theoretically..

But I am yet to test in simulator..

Is it possible to test PIN to PIN messaging in simulator?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Simulating-PIN-message/m-p/1003093

Developer
Pascal_Bourque

1 advice,

Stop using simulators...

The ONLY way to test application on a blackberry is on a real device. Especially for GPS, SMS, HTTP and other communication feature.

Pascal Bourque, Analyste-Programmeur : "je pense donc je programme"
Really want to thank a user? Click the Kudos! badge on right side of the message. When you do so, you are offering a thumbs up for good content and a pat on the back to its author.
Accepted Solutions is a way for you to choose the reply that best answers a thread that you've started. To mark a message as a solution: Click the Solution? icon on the reply.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Pascal_Bourque wrote:

1 advice,

Stop using simulators...

The ONLY way to test application on a blackberry is on a real device. Especially for GPS, SMS, HTTP and other communication feature.

I disagree here. the simulator does quite a good job, and GPS can be tested very well. Some features are not available (pin2pin, for example and to answer the OPs question, relies on RIM gateways, bluetooth is not simulated etc), but overall it saves a lot of time to use it.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
Pascal_Bourque

[ Edited ]

simon_hain wrote:

I disagree here. The simulator does quite a good job, and GPS can be tested very well.

How can you test specific case of GPS using with a simulator ?

Here some case :

- Verizon coverage

- 9700 Location Provider listener problem

- Gps reaction face other application (like calling, or using other component using GPS)

- OS version problem like some bell OS version have a gps locking

GPS program have a major default, it work with a extern chip and you are dependent of it. And the GPS Chip is not the same in all BB.

IMO I prefer testing on real device to not waste time on simulator and thinking it's working when in real device it's not.

Pascal Bourque, Analyste-Programmeur : "je pense donc je programme"
Really want to thank a user? Click the Kudos! badge on right side of the message. When you do so, you are offering a thumbs up for good content and a pat on the back to its author.
Accepted Solutions is a way for you to choose the reply that best answers a thread that you've started. To mark a message as a solution: Click the Solution? icon on the reply.