Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: GPS information of another blackberry mobile

specific cases cannot be solved with the simulator, yes.

but you advise to stop using the simulator at all for gps, networking etc, which is, in my opinion, a bad idea.

the GPS simulation only covers the basic uses, but does this quite well and makes it easy to spot any errors in the location handling without waiting half the day for endless reboots of the BB.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Reboot only occur if your application is currently in use, so except super app that run at startup and have no button to close you application, the BB doesn't endless reboot. And after all, the difference between a reboot on a device and the loading JVM, I don't see the difference. If i must verify each program to see if it's ok to use simulator or not, I prefer put my experience i one, and only one, solution, use real device.

After all, if I look the case on this thread, using 2 real devices seems the only option.

PS @simon_hain, I have a great respect for you and all your post, maybe on this question we don't have the same opinion.

Pascal Bourque, Analyste-Programmeur : "je pense donc je programme"
Really want to thank a user? Click the Kudos! badge on right side of the message. When you do so, you are offering a thumbs up for good content and a pat on the back to its author.
Accepted Solutions is a way for you to choose the reply that best answers a thread that you've started. To mark a message as a solution: Click the Solution? icon on the reply.
Developer

I agree with Simon in this regard.  The Simulator is good place to start your application testing.  And I find easier to test the application in a wide range of Simulators for things like Ui look, than to do this on device.

The issue here is not that we have different opinions. 

It is that you stated that the "ONLY" way to test was on device. 

I think it would have been more reasonable to say something like:

"In my experience, the best way"

It should be clear from my and Simon's comments that this is only your experience and there are a significant number of functions (like UI) for which the Simulator is a perfect testing tool.

Developer

peter_strange wrote:

It is that you stated that the "ONLY" way to test was on device. 

Simon_hain and now Peter_strange, ok now i know and i'm sure i'm in the wrong way... :Oops:

"In my experience, the best way" to be sure your application work perfectly on a device is to tested it on a real device.

Pascal Bourque, Analyste-Programmeur : "je pense donc je programme"
Really want to thank a user? Click the Kudos! badge on right side of the message. When you do so, you are offering a thumbs up for good content and a pat on the back to its author.
Accepted Solutions is a way for you to choose the reply that best answers a thread that you've started. To mark a message as a solution: Click the Solution? icon on the reply.