Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
sandeepasrani
My Device: Not Specified

GPS issue on Verizon

Hi,

I am really frustrated with the GPS issue I am having on the Verizon BlackBerry. After becoming a member of the Verizon Community as posted in the knowlege base:

KB1 : http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Develo pment/Verizon-GPSSettings-signing-requirement/ta-...

KB2 : http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/li ...s.html?nodeid=1371352&vernum=0 

I posted the issue on their forum and the reply I got was autonomous or standalone mode is supported. I am trying a test app got from the examples provided with the JDE on 2 Tour devices with 5.0 and above. Obviously I am signing the build before installation but really not been successful yet.

Guys please help me I get a response from Verizon that KB2 article is more than 2 years old & needs to be updated.

Regards,

Sandeep Asrani.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
gtj

Re: GPS issue on Verizon

What exactly is the issue you're encountering?   For the Tour devices, you don't need anything from Verizon to get Assisted or Autonomous modes to work and with OS 5.0, it's even easier to get a location provider...

BlackBerryCriteria gpscrit = new BlackBerryCriteria();
gpscrit.setMode(GPSInfo.GPS_MODE_AUTONOMOUS);
gpscrit.setSatelliteInfoRequired(true, false);
BlackBerryLocationProvider lp = (BlackBerryLocationProvider) BlackBerryLocationProvider
.getInstance(gpscrit);

BlackBerryCriteria gpscrit = new BlackBerryCriteria(); gpscrit.setMode(GPSInfo.GPS_MODE_AUTONOMOUS);

BlackBerryLocationProvider lp = (BlackBerryLocationProvider) BlackBerryLocationProvider .getInstance(gpscrit);

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

That article is still relevant for older CDMA devices on Verizon (example: Curve 8330).

Autonomous is locked and you need PDE credentials to obtain a network assisted fix.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sandeepasrani

Hi,

Thanx for the quick response but the issue is that I am building for 4.2.1 devices and higher. I wonder how google maps and foursquare work on older devices too.

Regards,

Sandeep Asrani.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Yes, these are exactly the devices I'm talking about. The 8330 was originally shipped with 4.2.1 and I would venture to guess that 80% of these devices still run this OS level.

AFAIK, Verizon did not unlock autonomous mode until 4.7.

Google maps does not rely soley on the on-device GPS - they utilize their own cell-tower database.  However, they probably also have PDE info to access the Verizon LBS.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sandeepasrani

I totally agree with all the details mentioned but the problem is if after 4.7 autonomous mode is supported i still do not get a GPS location. This problem comes only on verizon devices.

Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

Autonomous works fine on newer VZ devices even without PDE.

Please do a forum search, there are a few posts providing the exact criteria you have to use to get autonomous fix.  Pretty sure RIM also has a list of criteria mappings somewhere in the knowledge base.

Keep in mind, the initial Autonomous fx can take a while to get, 4-5+ minutes in not so great conditions.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

[ Edited ]

Agree with dnepr - autonomous first-time fix might be 3-4 minutes or more, and if you are indoors, maybe never.

Try outside with a clear line of site to the sky.

Please use plain text.