Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
kiwi10
My Device: Not Specified

GPS location data is sometimes not accurate?

Hi,

I have a BlackBerry Pearl 8110 and am developing a GPS application that simply get's the location information and sends it to a server.  However, every now and again I get locations that are way off in the middle of nowhere.  Then, the next point received is ok again.  It seems to be random and not happen all the time.

I have implemented the locationlistener interface and am checking the IsValid() state of location before collecting the data.

Does anyone know if this is common in the Pearl or if they could point me in the right direction.  this is my setting for the location instane registration if that helps.

_locationProvider.setLocationListener(listener, 5, 1,1);

Please use plain text.
New Developer
dared
My Device: Curve 8310, Curve 8520, Storm2 9520, Pearl 3G
My Carrier: BASE

Re: GPS location data is sometimes not accurate?

We had same issues with the curve and other BB phones, looks like this happens even more often if  the location helper is activated.

But I think theres no way around a verification of your geopoints inside the code..

Please use plain text.
New Developer
kiwi10
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks Dared.

I'll have to look into doing a bit of verification of the points I guess.  I'm not sure if I'm activating the location helper.  Would I be doing that in code?

The criteria I'm setting when creating my locationprovider is

Criteria c = new Criteria(); c.setHorizontalAccuracy(20); c.setVerticalAccuracy(20); c.setCostAllowed(false);

thanks again.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
dared
My Device: Curve 8310, Curve 8520, Storm2 9520, Pearl 3G
My Carrier: BASE

no its inside your gps options, there you can turn off location aiding.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/3045/Turn_off_location_aiding_400936_11....

Please use plain text.