Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
tedyu
My Device: Not Specified

GPS location sent by Storm

I used Blackberry map to send me an email with longitude and lattitude in the URL.

When I enter that point on Yahoo maps, I see it's about 0.25 miles from where I actually was.

Is there program that can give me better location information ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
johnbibs
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Re: GPS location sent by Storm

What location method are you using? maybe it uses the network to get your location. check you method in the options.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
tedyu
My Device: Not Specified

Is there location based service that would pinpoint the name of store if I am in a multi-story shopping mall ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

The accuracy of your coordinates vary based on the GPS mode the BlackBerry is using.  GPS Modes:

• Cellsite, which is the least accurate but the fastest location mode, uses cellsite towers that attempt to provide triangulated GPS information.
  • Assisted, which is more accurate than the Cellsite fix but not as fast, uses the network in an assisted search.
  • Autonomous, which yields the most accurate fix but provides the first fix the slowest, uses the on-board GPS chip.

If you are using GPS indoors, you would be using Cellsite.  It is the only mode that will work indoors without a line of sight to the sky (to the satellites in orbit).  The downside is that it is also the least accurate.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
johnbibs
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

I think Cellsite is at least 100m-1km off? correct me if i'm wrong. This in-accuracy is unacceptable considering your requirement. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.