Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
guperez
My Device: Not Specified

GUI Development

Guys,

Does anyone have any references or documentation on the development of elaborated user interfaces for BlackBerry applications? We are doing our users interfacs from scratch creating our own elements but maybe there is an easier way.

Thank you 

Please use plain text.
Developer
richard_puckett
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: GUI Development

As far as literature, the only books I've ever really used specifically for that are:

"Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design" by Jenifer Tidwell and

"The Inmate are Running the Asylum..." by Alan Cooper

Beyond that, I think your design will be informed mostly by your needs and your experience.  Design patterns tend to come in extra handy when creating your own UI framework: Visitors, observers, strategies.  The "Head First" book on design patterns is a lot more accessible than the Gang of Four book if you want to learn more about that.

Please use plain text.
Developer
guperez

Thanks, Richard.

Please use plain text.
Retired
bzubert

The JDE development guide contains a lot of information pertaining to how to properly define your UI on BlackBerry, including best practices when extending elements like the Manager or Field.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/1180/development.pdf

Brian Zubert
Technical Partnership Manager
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
Developer
guperez

Thank you, Brian.

Please use plain text.