Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
darun
My Device: Blackberry 9550
My Carrier: None

Re: GUI in Blackberry application using eclipse

Hi,

Is the GUI builder for blackberry released already? I read from the previous posts that it will be released in june, just wondering if it is already out?

thanks

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

No it is not out yet... we are shooting for sometime around the end of the summer for a beta

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tirandagan
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I would love to participate in the beta for GUI builder.

Please use plain text.
Developer
geeneeus
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

To be honest as nice as a GUI Builder sounds for BlackBerry Development (as we all have had our troubles getting things just right).

There are plenty of cons as well as pros for it.

My main pros for it are that it will encourage and make it easier for the lesser experience coder to make nicer GUI's for apps.

The main con for me is using a GUI Builder usually feels messy and from my experience the GUI code from GUI Builders (such as that with NetBeans). The code can be messy or bundled with unnecessary junk. Would also encourage slightly lazier GUI coding I think and code result in fancy looking GUI's but somewhat "sloppy or sluggish" if mis-used.

Just entirely my opinion of course and say what you will but just thought I would throw that out there.

I apologise if this note offends anyone but it is not targeted at anyone just giving an honest opinion as it is obvious from my statement that I prefer hand-coding GUI's.

Genius Development Scotland
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

I have to agree.

IMHO the closest I found to a good one is the VS. It isn't the cleanest but it is the closest I found to a fully functioning GUI editor, and if you don't want to use it you can still code by hand.

I doubt the BlackBerry will be of that caliber.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
mikeo007
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

Just checking, it's been about 2 years since this tool was announced, and 5 months since the last proposed release...can we assume it's dead?

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

no, it's usually taking this long

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi There,

We have been talking about this topic at DevCon last year in San Francisco as well as recently at DevCon Asia. So there definately are no secrets round the topic.

We were originally working towards a GUI builder part of our Eclipse tooling with a partner who ended up being purchased by Google.   This changed our business relationship and at the end we decided to go in a different direction.  There are no current plans to release the GUI builder tooling we previewed at our earlier developer conferences.

However, we are working on something bigger and better :smileyhappy:

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
mikeo007
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

Thanks for the transparency.

It's still too bad though. The Blackberry OS platform has really fallen behind when it comes to developer-friendly tools. The GUI builder was a shimmer of hope, especially when it comes to rapid development. Webworks is ok, but the rendering engine just isn't sophisticated enough to support fully developed apps.

On a brighter note, the Tablet OS has a much more promising toolset. Unfortunately, it may be a while before we see it on phones, and by that point, development for other platforms will have advanced to or beyond the level of the QNX tools.  I'll be keeping an eye on developments, but likely won't be developing or porting anything new until the future has a more sunny outlook. I have faith that RIM will make it right, but it looks like it'll be quite a ways in the future :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

That could be the "bigger" "better" he's talking about. I wonder which company it was. The problem I see is the speed that these things happen. RIM announces a tool/product/service, a couple months later a competitor announces it and releases it a month after that. A year+ after RIM announced it, it's still not out.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.