Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Get PIN messages

First we must make sure it is working. 

From memory, I believe it is possible to send a PIN message to yourself!  So just create a message, in the "to" type in a PIN number, your PIN number.  Create a message, and send.  See what turns up.

You might also try asking a friend with a BB to send a PIN message to you, you will have to pass on your PIN of course.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vadimaus
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Fido

Ok, it's very suggestive.. But one more question, since I'm new developer in BlackBerry world. I want to disappear confusions about PIN and BBM. I red on a lot of sites that this is same thing.. So please correct me if I'm wrong and is that's possible to give me some technical overview about that.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

It is definitely not the same thing, but both are based on the RIM infrastructure, which is perhaps where the confusion starts.

PIN messaging is really just email with a special address, which is the target BlackBerry PIN number.  So the email goes to the RIM Server, which detects that the target is a PIN number, and then forwards the email to the PIN number.  Compare this with push email.  In this case the email is sent to the RIM Server, which then looks at the database it has of email addresses matched to PIN numbers, and then forwards the email to the correct device. 

BBM is based on the same infrastructure and again there is a matching of ID to PIN number in order to route the messages too.  But there is a BBM Server involved here that manages the communication, and messages are not fire and forget, for example, when you are chatting to someone on BBM, you know when the message has been delivered to the device. 

And the big thing about BBM is that you can not randomly send something to anyone else - there is an 'accept' required before you can start talking. By comparison, if you know anyone else's PIN number, you can send a message to them. 

I recommend that you try sending PIN messages and establishing a BBM contact to see how these differences work out for real users.  If nothing else, that will convince you they are not the same thing. 

You said:

"I red on a lot of sites that this is same thing.."

Can you please point us at the sites you have found.  I think these should be corrected. 

Please use plain text.