Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Google API for finding current location

Hi

Is there any API provided by google maps service to get the location of the BB. I dont have google maps installed in my device. If there is an api through which google can return me my current location it would have been great. Is there any api like that ??

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Google API for finding current location

check LocationPickerDemo sample example of BB. we might also have LocationProvider API with BB

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the Accept as solution Button when u got the Solution
Press Kudo to say thank to developer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Developer

There is a location API that used to be provided by Google, through their Gears project.  There are a few Threads about it on the forum if you look round you should be able to find them.

I actually tried to use it one time too. 

However that API is deprecated.  I recommend instead that you use the BB Cell Site service, which is available on devices running OS 5.0 and above.  My experience is that it is faster and more accurate than any results I got using the Google. 

More on BB Cell Site and other Location services here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Location-APIs-Start-to-finish/ta-p/571949

Developer

Thanks Peter,

Was curious about the Google API. Does the Cellsite work well in CDMA & GSM phones. Does it require an actual BB plan or will it work with normal sims. Does it work with the Wifi connection also ??
Developer

Search the forum fo rmore informaiton. 

But:

https://developers.google.com/gears/