Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
andufo
My Device: BB Curve 8310

Google Maps on BB Application

hi, i want to develope an aplication for my BB that shows a map (using Google Maps API)  with points of interest in the nearby (GPS).

anyone has any idea on where to search for references on this particular issue? i already tried http://code.google.com/apis/maps/ but there is no info on smartphones dev.

thanks,

andres

Developer
marchywka
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Google Maps on BB Application

I'm not sure this helps but maybe someone knows offhand. I finally found the US census FTP site a few minutes ago,

while trying to hunt down some linguistics data LOL,

ftp://ftp.census.gov/

and they may have some of the information someone was looking for earlier to relate cities to location.

This has a footnote at bottom indicating availability of database for download but link is unauthorized and notes

suggest they move the data to ftp site, 

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer?city=detroit&state=&zip=

I think if you go to the GPS boards you will find various things like personal points of interest but I

haven't looked in detail- you can certainly imagine various SIG's would maintain their own etc.

New Developer
andufo

Actually i ment to emulate something like the Google Maps for Mobile devices:

http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html

Best regards!

Developer
marchywka

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've got google maps but wasn't sure quite what part you needed. I think someone else was looking

for various ways to map lat/long to stuff of interest. This actually turns out to be pretty easy. FWIW, it also

looks like the census has some maps but I doubt offhand if they have the same utility as the google maps.

Also, the satellite overlay is really fun and I'm not sure how you could duplicate that. In any case, I did

mange to load a mysql database with 6000 hospital locations. LOL.

[ edit, added debug link - amazingly easy and plenty of landmarks to add with no manual intervention

http://www.spottext.com/launcher/db/loc.cfm?action=find&longitude=-84.46277&latitude=33.9375

]

Message Edited by marchywka on 10-14-2008 07:28 PM
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

[ Edited ]
Alternatively, you could integrate with BlackBerry Maps and use a MapsField.  Have a look at the mapfielddemo included with the version 4.6.0 BlackBerry JDE for an example.
Message Edited by MSohm on 10-15-2008 10:18 AM
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
marchywka

How far back does that support go? I've got a few classes that start with "Map" going back to 4.2 but I haven't

updated and I'm building for 4.0.2 devices if possible.

I wouldn't have thought that it would be possible to compete with the existing mapping programs, esp if you want all the

satellite and related info, but after hunting around the census ftp site, I'm starting to wonder what is easily adaptable.

For example, this isn't mapquest quality but getting there,

ftp://ftp.census.gov/geo/maps/blk2000/st11_DistrictOfColumbia/Place/1150000_Washington/CBP1150000_00...

And, I'm debating about how useful the place database is as I'm not sure which commercial alternatives would be

useful.

Thanks.

MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

MapField was added in version 4.5.0 of the BlackBerry API set.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
andufo

I cant use Blackberry Maps because i live in Ecuador (south america) and they dont have support in this region. That's way i can only work with Google Maps. 

Developer
kemdada

you should check out a design like www.mgmaps.com (it uses multiple map sources), i.e google, microsoft, yahoo, openstreets e.t.c