Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

GridFieldManager workarounds?

OK I wrote an app that uses GridFieldManager, which is clearly documented in the OS 5.0 javadocs, and it worked great in the simulator and on my test 8520 phone running OS 5.0.0.822

Then I tried it on another phone running 5.0.0.330 and it said GridFieldManager was not found.  Same problem on a 3rd phone.

I've heard in these forums that this is a screw-up on RIM's part, that certain versions of 5.0 left out the GridFieldManager by mistake.  This was reported MONTHS ago.

So what's the upshot?  Did RIM issue a workaround, or is there a way to distribute the jar that contains the GridFieldManager?  I'm kind of new at BB programming and this is a real nasty situation.  The management is concerned that RIM is not very serious about supporting app development--are they right?

Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: GridFieldManager workarounds?

I use the TableLayoutManger class that was developed by RIM. They wrote an article about its use. Here is the link:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2009/10/how-to-use-table-view-layout/

It is similar to GridFieldManager. You could import the class to your project and you would not need to worry whether there are phones out there with the proper version of 5.0. I personally have not heard of this but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.