Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Android HTC One X
My Carrier: Cellcom

HOWTO - Upgrading to the Eclipse JDE Plugin 1.1 Beta without losing changes

[ Edited ]

It took me a lot of time to configure my Eclipse IDE to my taste, and I didn't want to do it all over again in order to enjoy the new features of the plugin (support for Eclipse build path in an Eclipse plugin, what will they think of next?).

To make a slong story short, this is how you could upgrade your 3.4 Eclipse (or any 3.x I presume) with the old plugin to Eclipse 3.5 with the new one:

1. Download the Eclipse suite v3.5.

2. Download the BB Eclipse Plugin.

3. Run Eclipse.

4. Delete all of the BlackBerry projects (DO NOT choose to delete the files ofcourse).

2. Exit your Eclipse suite.

3. Backup your old Eclipse and workspace dirs.

3. Unzip the Eclipse 3.5 files over your old installation.

4. In the eclipse dir, under plugins, erase net.rim.eide*.* (including directories).

5. In EVERY BlackBerry project, delete the following files:

.project

.classpath 

.project.old

6. Install the plugin to the Eclipse dircetory.

7. Run the Eclipse suite.

8. Choose Help -> About. Click the RIM logo and verify that the plugin was installed correctly. Currently it is named BlackBerry Java Plug-in version 1.1.1.200911020017-11.

9. Notice that new plugin does not have a dediacted BlackBerry menu in the menu bar. Thats fine.

10. Right-click the package explorer, choose Import and select Import BlackBerry Legacy Projects (it's under BlackBerry).

11. Under BlackBerry workspace, click Browse, navigate to the .BlackBerry dir in your workspace and choose BlackBerry.jdw.

12. All of your BlackBerry projects should now be listed and selectable. If they're grey, this means that you did not delete them from the package explorer.

13. I recommend unchecking Copy BlackBerry projects into workspace.

14. Next -> Next -> Next and you're done.

Enjoy

New Developer
My Device: multiple
My Carrier: multiple

Re: HOWTO - Upgrading to the Eclipse JDE Plugin 1.1 Beta without losing changes

The BlackBerry Update SIte now lists a newer version of the Eclipse 3.5 plug-in, 1.1.1.200911111641-15.

I presume one could update from 1.1.1.200911020017-11 without having to delete all BlackBerry projects.  But I'm warry of just installing the new plug-in. Will I end up with both versions?  Will I corrupt the version I have? Should I delete the version I have before installing the new, and will this affect the SDKs I have installed?

What about the SDK versions. There is a newer version for OS 5; should I delete 5.0.0.11 before installing 5.0.0.14?

I'm fairly new to Eclipse (as if you couldn't tell) and would appreciate some advise on how to proceed.

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: HOWTO - Upgrading to the Eclipse JDE Plugin 1.1 Beta without losing changes

Nice post vaiden.

I finally got around to posting my walkthrough.

Windows 7 and BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse 1.1 Beta Walkthrough

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful