Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
suresh_chakree
My Device: Not Specified

HTTP Connection without APN

Hi,

I have developed a Blackberry Client Application (which should be independent of BES and BIS), which connects to various web sites and displays/renders the data from that site on the BrowserField.

This works fine with Simulator. But, with physical device I faced "Java.io.IOException:could not open tunnel - failed".

After goping through various threads on this topic in this form, I had given the TLS and APN details on the physical device and it starts working.

So from what I see from above, for a client application to access internet through HTTP, you need to provide APN settings of the Internet gateway provided by the service provider.

This mean the Blackberry device has to be GPRS enabled, which would cost the device user for using my application.

My question is:

Applications like GoogleMaps and Facebook on Blackberry use internet but,

- They don't require any APN settings

- They don't require Blackberry to be GPRS enabled

Is there a way I can get my application use internet using HTTP and without using APN settings and GPRS enabling. Please note that this should work both on BES and BIS.

I understand that GoogleMaps and Facebook are by RIM and so might have access to internal api's.

Can I get access to these internal RIM api's?

If this requires commercial agreement with RIM, please suggest a path to get in touch with RIM for this requirement.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Suresh.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: HTTP Connection without APN

hello,

you have documentation here : http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/

and you have information about being a RIM partner here : http://na.blackberry.com/eng/partners/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

APN information is required for making a direct TCP connection.  You can see the various routes available here:

What Is - Different ways to make an HTTP or socket connection
Article Number: DB-00396

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Your application can also supply the APN when making a connection.

How To - Specify APN information for a direct TCP connection 
Article Number: DB-00532

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/How_To_...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
Biswas

Hi,

Is there any API available to get the APN information for a direct TCP connection programitically?

Thanks.

New Developer
Biswas

Hi,

Sorry for posting again. Is there any API available to get the APN information from service provider if it is not specified in Option->Advance options - > TCP - > APN (If the user does not know the APN information) for a direct TCP connection programitically?

Thanks.

Developer
peter_strange

Not sure this helps, but I have not found a method for any of the carriers in the UK.
New Developer
wigwam

I wish i could find it, but I was able to find a solution before that handles this. Basically, I had to enter the APN settings to make a connection ( seemed to only be the case for tmobile and a couple smaller carriers ), which got annoying.

Anyway, I found some examples online a while ago that allowed this to work without having to enter the APN information, and it worked 100% of the time.

I'm not sure if this is Alliance member stuff since from what I remember...it's not documented. And i'm not sure of the reprocutions of shraing that info if I do find it.(if it is secret code, that sux that you gotta pay big bucks to produce A-class software). :smileyhappy:

Developer
peter_strange

I think you are talking about the BISB connection method, which is described in the networking video.  This is available to Alliance Members.  Even as an Alliance member, as I understand it, you need to apply to use this method for a specific application.  I beleive BISB routes data through RIM servers, and I suspect they can pull the plug on any connections that are not authorized.

In my experience, this method does not work 100% of the time, as some carriers do not support it.

New Developer
shaileshlitake

Hi Did you get any solution ? I am haveing same problem. Please let me know if you get any solution to avoid APN settings.
Developer

If u want to avoid APN.then u have to use Blackberry internet service(BIS-B).it's not dependent on carrier.But to get it u have to purchase from RIM.please contact with them.