Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
voodoo5
My Device: Not Specified

Hacked BB cod files + API error

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm not an actual BB developer, but for personal use I've slightly modified a BB cod file and reloaded it onto the device only to encounter an error telling me that I need a license to use the API.

I am not very familiar with anything having to do with BB, but I'm fairly certain that the modified cod would work if it werent for the API restriction: I've simply altered some directory strings directly in the cod files and corrected the file's CRC32 in the cod-zip for it to properly load onto the device.

So... am I infringing some sort of RIM copyright while doing so? and what steps do I need to take to make the modified RIM application functional? Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Hacked BB cod files + API error

Copyright? No. License? Probably.

I'll leave the legal stuff up to someone else and focus on the signing.

The CRC32 is for the COD with the signing code. The signing code is everything but the CRC32. So by changing the code you invalidated the signing code. Changing the CRC32 will let you load the COD onto the BlackBerry but if the signing key doesn't match because everything else is changed then you're stuck.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
shism2

You should definitely not post this on the board.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
voodoo5

I don't really see the problem, shism2. I'm asking about copyright because I wasn't sure if modifying RIM apps and submitting them for licensing was common practise...

About the signing, from what you said I take it that my file passes the integrity test but doesn't match the key, which is generated from the whole cod file. Although I'm still not sure what exactly is the key and where it is located, and what type of file can be signed (do I need the source code)?

Is there documentation on this?

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Correct. I don't know much about the key either. It isn't documented anywhere and it is expected you have source code, compile it, and sign it. You might be able to resign the COD but I don't know exactly (never tried).

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.