Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Help! Logging won't work on Bold 9000 on startup

Various solutions:

1. Upgrade the handheld's system software and see if logging starts working. I'm seeing logging work just fine on many other devices or even Bolds but with higher handheld software versions.

2. Use a special logger which, if the device is in startup (ApplicationManager.inStartup), stores the messages until the device is no longer in startup, and then logs them all in one go. Alternatively, log to a file in internal memory or on the SD card.

Developer
justindutoit

Thanks for that. Would you please provide a link to upgrade the Bold's software? I haven't been able to find this. Appreciate the help, J.
Developer

The Desktop Manager is the obvious route to upgrading. If the Desktop Manager does not offer an upgrade, then you're more or less out of luck, unless you are an Alliance Partner, in which case you simply need to log in to https://www.blackberryuniverse.com and download the latest handheld software.

Developer
justindutoit

Apologies for adding another question to this thread- part of it I could have worked out myself.

This is the end of this thread- appreciate everyone who helped- If anyone else has the same problem, the root problem was:

It seems you can't log on startup on the Bold 9000 handheld, a quirk of the software?- so I'm looking at using MemoPad instead on startup to write debug messages for my app. (Spent all day on MemoPad but still have one problem, but won't use this thread to ask)

J

Developer
martijnbrinkers

justindutoit wrote:

...my app *does* run- that is, main() is run- on a warm-boot, because my app adds a PhoneListener in main() on startup, and it works fine! Every time you finish an outbound call, my app pops up a Dialog. That wouldn't work if the PhoneListener wasn't being set up, and it gets set up in main(), so main() must be running on startup. Otherwise the phonelistener wouldn't work, because if you turn the Bold off, the PhoneListener is cancelled I think?

But you assume that because you do a warm-boot that your main must be called. But what if your application is just waiting in the background when 'switched off' (with the battery still in the BB) until it's being powered on. Because the phonelistener is still registered it's still working.

Developer

I can confirm that logging does not work on Bold 9000 v4.6.0 while the device is powering up after a cold-reboot (e.g., remove the battery and then reinsert it).

Developer
martijnbrinkers

It should, at least it works for me. The topic starter however has problems logging during a warm-reboot but this is afaik expected because during a warm reboot auto-run code is not activated. The auto run code is only run during a cold reboot.

Developer
justindutoit

It works for me too, sorry klyubin. Remove the battery and cold-reboot and main() is run and it logs fine. Martin, I'll be posting a new thread soon since I have some issues with a Timer I have which needs to run while my phone is 'off' overnight. Some code is supposed to run when the TImer reaches zero at midnight, while the phone is off....

J.