Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Help: Networking is not working on the simulator

Hi,

I have downloaded every version of the simulator, up to the lastest 4.7 that has the Storm, but for some reason networking doesn't seem to work on my simulator. I checked the network coverage, it all said that coverage is enabled but I am not able to use the browser to go anywhere. Could you please point out what I have done wrong?

Thank you

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Help: Networking is not working on the simulator

unless you are using specific code you need the MDS to run with the simulator to have network coverage.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

In the JDE,

Edit / Preferences /

Select the "Simulator" tab

Select the "General" tab

Check the box "Launch Mobile Data Connection Services (MDS) with simulator"

Developer

Hi RexDoug,

I don't have Edit/Preference in my Eclipse,

I can goto Run > Debug Configuration > BlackBerry Simulator > DebugServer > Simulator, then there is a General tab there but everything is grey out so I cannot make any change to it.

I wish to have wifi simulation running so that I could start doing some development and testing but this is a big road block for me. If you can help me to get over this I would appreciate it very much.

BTW, I just found out today that the Storm doesn't have WIFI. I wonder what was the reason not to have such a feature on supposely the coolest phone from blackberry??? Now the Storm will just be like any slow device out there when come to accessing the internet...

Developer

Then I guess you need to manually start MDS.

Look under your Program Files / Research in Motion and see if you can find the MDS directory.

Or, wait for someone who is using Eclipse to answer.

Developer

I develop with Eclipse and even though I set the preferences in eclipse, the MDS doesn't link properly.  Like RexDoug suggests, I manually start up the MDS service in order for the simulator to connect properly.  It should be located in your Programs -> Research in Motion -> BlackBerry Email and MDS Services Simulators 4.1.4 (this is the program I downloaded from the blackberry developers site, it may be named something else if you downloaded the MDS differently) -> MDS.  A command prompt will open and start printing out some debug/info statements.  Just leave the window open while you do you work with your BB simulator.  Just be aware that it does tend to freeze up once in a while so you'll have to restart it once in a while.
Developer

MDS 4.1.4 is an older version. Try version 4.1.5.26 that is shipped with the 4.7. I'm pretty sure this is in the component pack for 4.7, or in the latest Eclipse plug-in distro.

Highlighted
Developer

got it working by manual starting MDS as you have suggested. Thank you all, this is a giant leap for me, now I can get out of my cave and be connected to the world from my simulator Smiley Happy what's a feeling!