Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Help in continuous camera

5.0 and higher will allow you to get access to the stream well it is being recorded.

Invoke framework uses RIM apps so the only thing you get access to is the resulting file.

BBM is a RIM developed app so they use non-public RIM APIs.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
paragrughani
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks,

So, putting all togather we can say that it is not possible for a BB developer to develop an application for auto-detecting barcodes while the camera is on.

I think you agree to this.

p.s. So due to limited access to available apis by rim we have limited scope for research in this matter.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

On newer OSs it should be possible, it's more of a version problem then limited APIs.

I am working on something else right now and don't have the time to try it out. I wouldn't be processing barcodes but I would try taking multiple snapshots one after another.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

I dont think he wants to take a snapshot and then process the image.  Even with OS5 and OS6 there is no public API to get the preview image without first capturing it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

[ Edited ]

I say snapshots because he says he said "Actually I have developed the solution for taking snapshots and decoding the barcode" and I interpreted what he was saying as "I take a picture but I don't want the camera to go away unless I say so".

I played around with the CameraDemo example project that comes with 5.0 and higher, in the takePicture function I changed it so that whenever the function is called it adds the snapshot data to a vector instead of opening a new screen. Works no problem. It does freeze while it takes the photo but change some encoding values around and it fixes that problem.

Yes it is true you can't get the preview image without capturing it, but I fail to see why capturing is a bad thing. You take a snapshot, see if it can be decoded, if not you remove all references to it and the VM takes care of the rest. You can do it nearly unnoticeable to the user if you use the correct encoding so it seems like a "continuous camera" and can exit when the barcode is decoded successfully.

As stated previously, now if only it was possible to do overlays on top of the preview.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

thanks for the info.  Now atleast if works partially. 

I agreed if we can overlay the preview screen that would be awesome but then again this is RIM.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

Sigh, I have to agree with you on that. To me the real fault is the JSRs because they don't require you to implement all the types, just the classes and interfaces. They don't have to work.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

[ Edited ]

I'm probably being completely unnecessary here but is the OP aware that this capability is built in to OS 6.0?

Not the ability for an app to do this, but the ability of the phone to capture a barcode for you off the camera. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
paragrughani

Actually I do want to take the preview and then decode it so there should not be any snapshot or photo capturing process.

End user keeps/moves the mobile phone on qrcode and the camera decodes the preview available there and if the code is successfully decoded then it goes to next screen. For android and iphone these type of applications available in market... You can refer them at following url

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmcvaeQHM40
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYfo8LIXCE&feature=related

Overall the application should not execute in following manner::

1) start the camera

2) capture the image (it pauses camera)

3) decode the image

4) resume the camera

I have tried to see many applications available in market but execpt the BBM 5.0 I am not able to see above mentioned feature.

So I feel that it is not only difficult it seems almost impossible with BB

Please use plain text.
Contributor
snarasimhan

Hi Paragrughani, 

Just wanted to know if you were able to implement auto detection of barcode using continous camera? I am currently facing the same issue. Is there any way of implementing it on 5.0 or below??

Peter,

I am aware that this feature is available on Blackberry 6.0 devices(9800,9670 and 9780). Will it work on devices that are basically 5.0 but upgradable to 6.0 as well or is there any Hardware limitation?

Regards,

Suhas

Please use plain text.