Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
Accepted Solution

Help with RichList and Managers for a new Blackberry developer

Hi all, I've been looking through the blackberry Quick Reference Guide as well as the API regarding getting a RichList to work in my application. However, I'm not entirely sure how Managers are used (I'm building my little app using the latest BB SDK, 7.1). Here is my code (stripped down): http://pastie.org/4163177

Basically, my MainScreen pushes this FullScreen, and supplies it a Manager. The reason I did this is because getManager() did not work (getManager() was returning null, so I got an error), so I pushed the manager from the MainScreen through. Now my list does not show up on screen. So my question is: How do I use Managers, and how can I get my RichList to show up?

using menuManager that was passed through my MainScreen:

using getManger():

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Help with RichList and Managers for a new Blackberry developer

A manager can only be added to one screen.  Trying to use the manager from your MainScreen in your FullScreen (or any instance of another screen) won't work.  I recommend reading through this guide on Managers. Let us know if you have any questions after checking that.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor

ahhhhh, I wish I had made the connection between BB's Manager and the Java APIs LayoutManager. Thank you so much for your help!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Turns out I don't understand Managers fully yet. Is this the correct way to use a VerticalFieldManager?

I assumed it works like Java's Layouts, where if I supply the RichList with a VerticalFieldManager object, it will lay out my list items vertically.

EDIT: Turns out I wanted to use ObjectListField. Silly me!