Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Help with some internal specs on STORM. Might require someone who works at RIM.

BB STORM, JDE 4.7.0

I've usually been the champion of memory sizing, and I thought I had it down pat, but it turns out that I'm seeing different values in some teardowns of the Storm hardware.

Can someone help me there and in the breakdown of Persistent Vs File memory in the persistent store area of the internal flash.

OK, Here is what I thought was the internals up until now.

1. 128MBytes of internal RAM for running the show, allocating memory, etc, etc...

2. 1G of internal Samsung OneNAND flash memory. This is broken up into 128M of App Space and 872M of storage space.

The storage space is broken into persistant storage and the remainder is an internal file system.

3. Finally, there is 8GBits of SDCard space.

OK, here are my new questions about memory.

In 2 above, Is the 1G Bytes or Bits. I used to think Bytes, but the most recent teardowns I'm reading about say Bits. If so, that means that we only have 16MBytes of app memory!!!!! So the question is Bytes or Bits???????

Next question is the 872M (bits or Bytes)......how is that broken into Persistent store Vs File space. Is it preallocated or does the line change based on what gets used????? If it's fixed, can the line be forced larger for persistent store. Can it be forced into SDCard Space?????

Finally, Is the SDCard in Bytes or Bits again? I suspect bits, but I don't know for sure. I do know It's MoviNAND.

Note, if you are new to this, please don't answer, as I'm not new, and I've been through all the usual web sites. I only want to hear from those who know for sure because they actually measured it with some code or they talked to someone at RIM. I've heard all the "I think it's...." and they don't do me any good. I'm actually sending this email for myself and several other people. Many of us need these questions answered.

Thanks

-Donald

Developer

Re: Help with some internal specs on STORM. Might require someone who works at RIM.

One other thing I've just noticed that makes more sense.

The teardown I was referring to seems to suggest the following.

Internally, there is 1Gbytes of MoviNAND internally, 1Gbits OneNAND internally, 1Gbits Mobile DDR.

So, thats 128Mbytes RAM (as before).

128Mbytes OneNand, which would be app space (as I believe you can run in place with OneNand).

Finally 1Gbytes of MoviNAND which would be the internal storage space. This means we have MORE than 872Mbytes of internal storage space.

This may be the setup.....will post if I find more. Please others, post if you find more.

Thank you all.

-Donald

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Help with some internal specs on STORM. Might require someone who works at RIM.

[ Edited ]

The BlackBerry Storm has the following:

• 128 MBytes of RAM
  • 128 MBytes of Flash memory for application installation (COD file) and persistent store storage.
  • 1 Gigabyte of internal memory for file storage (FileConnection & USB drive like support).
  • Support for a micro SD card up to 32 Gigabytes* in size for additional file storage (FileConnection & USB drive like support).

All values are in bytes, not bits.  It is not possible to install applications to the file storage memory, nor is it possible to store persistent objects in the file storage space.

* The maximum size of supported micro SD cards is dependant on the version of BlackBerry handheld software.  Please refer to the following for a complete list broken down by version.
Chart from the URL above:
BlackBerry Device Software versionMedia card size limit
BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0Up to 2 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1Up to 4 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2Up to 4 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0Up to 8 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0Up to 8 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and laterUp to 16 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and laterUp to 32 GB
Message Edited by MSohm on 04-24-2009 02:34 PM
Message Edited by MSohm on 04-24-2009 02:35 PM
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Hey Mark (I think MSohm's first name is Mark?), let me clarify a few points.

I was seeing what you are saying but there are 1 or 2 areas I still need verifying.

1. The internal 1GByte of MoviNAND that you say is for the internal file system. Is that also used partly used for persistent storage????

2. You say the SDCard is UP TO 8Gbytes. My question here is should this read: The supplied card is 8GBytes by default and it can use up to 32GBytes or 64GBytes as the largest card (if purchased).....or is it exactly as you said.....where the one supplied is really 8GBits/1Gbytes and the max is 64Gbits/8Gbytes??

Thanks Mark

-Donald

[ Edited ]

I've clarified my post above in regards to the maximum micro SD card sizes.

I don't know what hardware (chips) in the device correspond to each area of memory.

Message Edited by MSohm on 04-24-2009 02:37 PM
Mark Sohm

Developer

Sorry for being such a pest on this Mark, but I need to clarify this once and for all. I get asked these questions all the time....

Just a yes or no answer is needed here. So far I think I understand everything. With respect to the 1GByte internal MoviNAND, you are saying that this is solely a filesystem and that ALL persistent storage on the Storm is in the same area as the App memory. I'm assuming that this is what you are saying above.

Also, I'm assuming the default SDCard size on the Storm is 8GBytes.

Is this correct?

Thank you so much.

-Donald

Persistent objects stored in persistent store (and runtime objects stored in the runtime store) are stored in the 128 MB application memory.  It is not possible to store either in the additional 1 GB on board memory.  This can be programmatically accessed using a FileConnection, which can be used to read and write files.

It's up to the carrier what, if any micro SD card is included with a BlackBerry handheld.

Mark Sohm

Developer

Thanks a lot Mark. That answers a lot of questions for me and a lot of others I'm sure. I'm going to tag this one. It probably should be tagged for one of those posts for people starting too....

Thanks

-Donald

Developer

Is there sneaky trick developers can use to move the data to an SD Card for future use?

Developer

Or compress?