Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
howard_mendel
My Device: Not Specified

HomeScreen.setRolloverIcon() parameters?

After much struggling to get a prototype of a rollover icon working, I finally managed to get it to work.

One of the nuances is that when I called HomeScreen.setRolloverIcon(icon) it didn't work, and I had to call HomeScreen.setRolloverIcon(icon, 0).  I'm using JDE 4.7.0 and testing using simulators for the 9530 and 9630, and it works ok as long as I passed the second parameter.

However, I'm trying to target BB 4.2+ and thus will need to build the project using JDE 4.2.  According to the API documentation, setRolloverIcon(icon, descriptor) is only supported with JDE 4.7.0 and above.

That said, the KB article DB-00467 showing code for a rollover icon for BB 4.1 uses the version with the two parameters.  Is the API documentation perhaps incorrect?

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on how I can approach creating this functionality for BB 4.2+?

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: HomeScreen.setRolloverIcon() parameters?

the api documentation for earlier OS versions is often a tad bit lacking. in addition there are lot of undocumented methods, use them at your own risk as they can change without notice.

in this particular case the undocumented call is now official, you should use it in lower OS versions as well (as the other method simply does not work).

on at least one occasion i had the case that rollovericon only worked when i used seticon beforehand, i just do it now just in case.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter