Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
danjohnson
My Device: Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha Simulator

Hotspotclient crashes app on older devices

I have an app that is enabled as a hotspot client by the user (prompted from within the app.)  

Until the user does so, it scans and refreshes the UI, each time checking the hotspotclient by invoking hostpotclient.isEnabled().

Frequently (but not 100% of the time) the phone completely freezes at this exact line of code.  There is no console messages and no exceptions are thrown (despite being within a try/catch block) and I have to pull the battery.

Note that this NEVER happens on a newer device I test on (9850) - this behavior occurs entirely on an older device (9650, running OS 6.0 bundle 3084.)

More specifically, I have a constant instance of a class MyHotspot that extends HotspotClient.  Periodically, myHotspot.isEnabled() is called.  Until the user manually accepts and enabled the hotspot through settings, the app works 100% perfectly, and will continue to do so indefinitely if the hotspot is never enabled.  Once it is enabled, the crash occurs at myHotspot.isEnabled() even with the rest of the console prints inside of the try/catch running fine.

More confusing is that, like I said, this only happens some of the time, and occasionally the refresh runs once or twice with isEnabled() returning true, but every time it crashes, it is on that exact line.

Could this be a device-specific bug, or is there some device-specific behavior of hotspot client enabling that I am not aware of?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danjohnson

Re: Hotspotclient crashes app on older devices

I'm not sure if this was unclear but just in case:  

The hotspot client is installed when the user manually verifies it in setup -> wlan wizard

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danjohnson

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

looks like a bug to me.
you can report it on https://www.blackberry.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa
(but don't expect too much by doing that, rim is focused on bb10, and response times were bad on jira before that)
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
danjohnson

Thanks for your reply!  Ah, that's what feared...

Please use plain text.