Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
craig_ferguson
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Telus

How Do You Extract The Event Log File Through Code

Hey everyone,

I guess this is a bit of a two part question, but first to follow the guidlines:

Device Being Tested On: Torch 9800 - 6.0 Bundle 3155 (v6.0.0.747, Platform 6.6.0.249)

SDK: BlackBerry Java Plug-In 2.0.0

First Part:

I think what I'd like to do is actualy quite generic, but the platforms might be relevent, I don't know. I know that you can access the event log file by clicking " / " /, for starters I would like to make a simple app with one screen and one button (I can handle that part lol) and when you click the button it grabs the event log file and saves it as a .txt or some other type that I can then send off to a server. I was thinking to use the FileExplorerDemo project to get started, but I wasn't sure where this event log file was stored, and I also thought there might be an easier (built in API? to access the event log file)

Second Part:

Is there any documentation I can read about interpreting the log file? Like how to distinguish between say the event of opening a weather app from opening the BBM app or from a logged error?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Additionally, if anyone has any advice for the best way to send such a log file to a server that would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: How Do You Extract The Event Log File Through Code

welcome to the support forums.

the only interaction is to show the logger screen programatically: http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/device/api/system/EventLogger.html#startE...

we have build our own logging class that writes to eventlog, sysout and persistant storage. we show our own persisted log on request, and have some menu items to send the log to one of the registered mail addresses.

i don't know of any documentation. you can filter on app and error level.
to analyze logs we usually load them to a PC.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.