Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
tombz

How To Install 4.2.1 Component Pack in Eclipse Plug-in 1.1

Hello all.

I'm trying to install the 4.2.1 SDK into the new 1.1 plugin for Eclipse using the update website but haven't been able to.

When I go to "Install New Software" and enter the BB website and expand "BlackBerry Java Plug-in Category" and then check the box "BlackBerry Component Pack 4 4.2.1.17" and then click Next, it says that it can't be installed because it needs the 1.0 plugin. If I try to install the 1.0 plugin, it says it can't because 1.1 is already installed.

Can the 4.2.1 component pack be installed with the 1.1 plugin, or is the 1.1 plugin only for 5.0 development?

Thanks,

-Tom B.

Please use plain text.
Developer
kalafut

Re: How To Install 4.2.1 Component Pack in Eclipse Plug-in 1.1

I have the same question regarding 4.2.1.

Note that Eclipse Plug-in 1.1 isn't just for 5.0 though.  If you add the update site "http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.5/java" you will see a variety of component packs, but they only go back to 4.5.0.

-Jim

Please use plain text.
Developer

/bump for an answer

Please use plain text.
Developer
smunro2009

Hey guys,

I made a posting about this a while ago.  First through an indirect question then in a posting where I used the wrong version number.  Our app runs on JDE 4.3 and we badly need the new plugin to debug the app through eclipse.

The reply I got in my original post was pretty much speculation, but I was told that RIM were possibly looking to phase out support for older  models or they hadn't got round to putting support it.  I'm hoping it's more of the latter. 

I had a discussion about this in work yesterday and what's amusing is that the beta version supported pre 4.3 JDE versions and the final version does not. If you look on the plugin site, it claims that 4.1 is supported in the technical requirements. 

I think one of the main problems here is that RIM are primarily a hardware company and not a software company, so the developers aren't exactly at the front of the queue when it comes to tool support.  They could take a leaf out of Apple's book; they make it pretty easy for developers to come in and start developing apps.  They've got a GUI editor for creating UI layouts, a decent debugger and a strong technical community as a result of that.  It seems to be the reverse for RIM, where developers are thought of last.  When the momentum picks up for Android and the IPhone, RIM are going to be a lot of trouble as developers are starting to come to terms with the fact that there are faster and easier ways to develop mobile solutions and their time-to-market windows are far shorter.

I wish the blackberry platform was fun to develop on, but it's getting to be less enjoying as a see other platforms moving forward, very sad.

Please use plain text.
Developer
GoldenJoe

COMPLETELY lacking support for 64-bit systems is another bone I have to pick with them, but the half-implemented Eclipse plugin is more than enough to raise my ire.  You can already see RIM's relevance (and marketshare) fading.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BriGuy
My Carrier: Rogers

I also have this requirement.  I have about 5 users that still use 4.2 OS.  I have tried to add component pack 4.2.1 and got the same results as "tombz".

Anyone find a solution yet?

Thanks, Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To error is human, but to really mess things up requires admin rights.

If this post has helped, don't be shy and click the kudo's star !!!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
bo

Same problem here.  Where can we download the 4.2.1 component pack?  The update site (which was down) is up now, but only goes back to 4.5.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bryanallott

Please use plain text.
Contributor
muppetkermit

Inkrypt wrote:

You're right, it was Matty who reported that the .ee file approach worked. I agree with what you said, at this point, pre-4.5 is a bit ancient. However, there are some of us who may need to support users running older software, and here are some updates from my trials;

The old Java Plug-in for Eclipse update site was decommissioned (I tried using Eclipse 3.4 + 1.0 plugin, and using Eclipse 3.5 and 1.1.2 plugin).

The new update site for Eclipse 3.5 (at http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.5/java) serves up component packs 4.5 and up.

For an all-in-one solution, using Eclipse 3.5, the new 1.1 BB Java Plug-in, and the ability to compile against component packs 4.2.1, 4.3.0, and up, you can utilize the BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse 3.5 BETA Update Site available at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/devbetasoftware/jar/3.5/java

Note: I was able to install the 4.2.1 component pack and compile my source using it.

This and other options for pre-4.5 development are detailed at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Gospel_Library_for_BlackBerry_getting_started

Please use plain text.