Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
almeida
Accepted Solution

How are Package Names Exposed?

I am curious how package names in a native BlackBerry Java application are exposed to other applications and/or the operating system.  I know, for example, that persistable classes but be uniquely defined or else you'll get "Error starting MyApplication: Class 'com.example.myapplication.MyClass' multiply defined."  In what other ways are package names visible?

As discussed in my thread on Performance Problems with Localization on 4.6.1, there are strange interactions between application size, package names, and the EventInjector.  Without an official fix or workaround from RIM, our only option may be to rename our packages.  I'd like to understand the implications of this though because we go that route.

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: How are Package Names Exposed?

i never encountered exposed packaging other than as a compile error or on this persistable error.
you can change the packages as you want, i would suggest to rename them in the jdp file with a good texteditor (replace the old package).
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
almeida

Re: How are Package Names Exposed?

RIM says package names are exposed via Class.forName() lookups and Persistable classes.  Some people use the package name in COD file names, but I'm not doing that.  Assuming I choose something unique, the user won't likely see my package name at all.

Thanks simon. 

Please use plain text.