Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
ankit2grover
My Device: Not Specified

How can i connect my application to a normal IP?

Hi All,

I want to connect my application to normal IP address,but as am third party vendor ,so we are not allowed to use direct TCP/IP connection via carrier(as it is not provided by my service provider).I cannot use BES(it will take lot of time in learning it ,n no one is experienced here to use it),we are not under any alliance programme(so we cannot use BIS )also,and my carrier is also not providing me any information of APN and IP of WAP gateway.........

I have gone through all the documents related to HTTPCONNECTION, already read all the other forums........

1.Is there anyone who can tell me that how third party vendors can connect there application (as direct TCP/IP connection is not permitted for thrid party vendors)?

2. I saw a application running on my handset,it seems to me that it is also developed by any third party vendor ,then how that application can run ? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
ankit2grover

Re: How can i connect my application to a normal IP?

Which Plan would be the best plan for me in India?

Please use plain text.
Developer
ankit2grover

Is there anyone who could help me in this regard? Or can show me the direction..........Am confused here ,because how can any other application can run if there is no DirectTCP connection is available?.......Can anyone explain me BIS program to allow HttpConnection ?On my device BIS services are enabled.........please help me......Prompt reply would be appreciated......Any kind of help would be appreciated........
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mweitzel

Hi there,

The different connection methods are as you can see below:

1. BlackBerry Enterprise Server's Mobile Data Service Connection Service (MDS-CS)

2. BlackBerry Internet Solution Browsing Server (BIS-B)

3. Wi-Fi (NB: only available for Wi-Fi capable devices)

4. WAP Gateway (most carriers [in not all] operate WAP Gateways and send the relevant configuration service books to the device for this, if they are a BlackBerry reseller/partner)

5. DirectTCP (Am not sure of which carrier you are using but there is a fairly comprehensive list of carrier's APN settings on the Pinstack forums: Pinstack - Carrier APN Settings)

Here is a knowledge base article that describes how to format your connection string with the correct APN settings: How To - Specify APN information for a direct TCP connection

Also here is a (slightly older) more generic article about making connections from a BlackBerry device: Calling All Networks

Finally we also have the (relatively new) Developer Video Library and there are 2 videos that deal with the different available transports: Network Transports and Browser Types.

Hopefully all this information will help you to get your connectin challenge solved.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

[ Edited ]
I would suggest you watch this video guide, it shows the SOTA informations:
http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=network

As mentioned BIS-B is only possible if you successfully apply to it with RIM.

I have no experience with your restricted network. are you not allowed to use APN connections?
You can find APN settings in this list:
http://www.pinstack.com/carrier_settings_apn_gateway.html

edith says:
mweitzel beat me by two minutes :smileysad:
Message Edited by simon_hain on 09-05-2008 10:22 AM
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
ankit2grover

Thanx to all,

I tried to run my application by direct TCP/IP by configuring all APN settings in my device,carrier is AIRTEL INDIA,but it was giving me exception BAD DNS ADDRESS, when i contacted my service provider then he told me that they do not allow third party developers to use device as modem(any application to connect via them).....

My blackberry browser is locked and am BIS services are enabled on my device.....

I saw one application  Umundo running on my device,it is successfully making a connection,if my network is restricted then how that application able to make a connection?

As mentioned BIS-B is only possible if you successfully apply to it with RIM.

Simon,Can you please elaborate me the meaning of this line? How i can successully apply to RIM ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: How can I connect my application to a normal IP?

[ Edited ]

I will let the original poster answer more fully, but I have been corresponding with this poster on another thread and can confirm that he (or she) has seen all these links and tried all the options, including getting the APN setting blackberry.net which he was told by Airtel (when he tested using airtelgprs.com it failed with the standard tunnel name error).  He wants a socket connection, so I believe WAP is not possible, which I think only leaves BIS-B, as a workable option.

I am amazed that Airtel do not allow Direct TCP connection.  Can someone from Rim (mweitzel or msohm perhaps), confirm that Airtel do NOT offer Direct TCP?

Edit: I see he beat me to it!

Message Edited by peter_strange on 09-05-2008 09:44 AM
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

you have to become alliance partner, see http://na.blackberry.com/eng/partners/
the good part is that you have access to extra services. the bad part is that devsupport tells you to mail your contact person with rim instead - and you do not get a reply there. maybe i invent myself a company to get support again :smileyhappy:
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
ankit2grover

Thanx,Peter and Simon,

If it is  really difficult to get access to BIS -B, and i do not have any more option rather than BIS-B,so how the application like Umondu is connecting?Are they also using BIS-B? Can anyone please answer this.........

Ya,i support Peter,Can anyone from RIM(perhaps mark or mewitzel) conform that AIRTEL INDIA does not support DIRECT TCP CONNECTION ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: How can I connect my application to a normal IP?

I believe Umondu is written in India, I remember talking to someone about this on a forum, but I've just searched and can't find it.

I am pretty sure it is a WAP service, using http connections.  You seem to want to use a Socket (and I can understand why for some applications).

Please use plain text.