Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
terrii
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Re: How do I execute a Perl script and returns the value as string?

I get it, like a SQL query which is sent to the SQL physical database which and returns to the php or whatever which calls it. This is a bad news. I don't really know what database they use, and how to connect to it. Its kind of easy with Perl or specific BioPerl which can send a query to the database and returns the result in just a few lines. I think I need to try porting to BB10. Hopefully it can run both java and perl... Actually I tried installing the SDK 10 but, it seems like the BB10 uses an open platform kind of design. Can I still use java? Or I need to use the C/C++?

The BB10 SDK is a bit more complicated than the 7.1

If you want to know why, I'm a bioinformatics final year student and I'm trying to design this app for my final year project. I am really new at this, actually my first time creating apps. I've done java, c++, shell and php projects but its on PC. And I got until march to finish this app. Do you think I can proceed? Other option would be to create a stand alone app which doesn't need to connect to a database (still biological) or completely turn away from programming and into the biological analysis of data but I prefer doing programming work because I really like it.

Sorry its a bit long. Thanks for asking.

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Short answer, look for something else to do or another platform to do it on.  For me both BB10 and BBOS platforms have holes in this process that you would have to fill just to provide the infrastructure on which to run your app.  Then of course you have to write your app....

Sorry.

Contributor
terrii
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Its okey.. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to run perl script using bb10 first. If can't I'll move to other.

Thanks. Wish me luck.

Cya.

Btw: for those who have the same problem.. Perl script can't really run on Blackberry 7.1. You have to try Blackberry 10 or other platforms which supports Perl. Unless you can do it manually yourself :smileyhappy:

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Good luck....

One final thing, can you mark this Thread as Solved - I appreciate it is not really solved, more resolved, but marking it solved means other people don't look at it and try to add to it. 

Instructions in Help link near top of screen, if you need them...