Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
ravindrakamble
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How is the relation between the IMEI number of a device and EMAIL provided by Blackberry?

Hi All,

Is there any way to find out which Blackberry device belongs to Which BES server? I m developing one application through which, i want to validate email address by sending IMEI number of a device.

Is it possible? Tell me the way...

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mweitzel

Re: How is the relation between the IMEI number of a device and EMAIL provided by Blackberry?

The only way to find out what BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) a device belongs to is to read out the UID field from the Desktop (CMIME) service book. The UID is the unique identifier which the BES uses (it is the SRP ID of the BES).

For getting the UID you could use the net.rim.device.api.servicebook.ServiceBook.SOURCE_SERVER_UID field value. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
ravindrakamble

Re: How is the relation between the IMEI number of a device and EMAIL provided by Blackberry?

Thanks For your quick reply.

Is it possible to communicate with Blackberry Enterprise Server programmatically?

Please use plain text.
mweitzel

The BES acts as a gateway, so if you use the Connector.open call then the request (e.g. browsing) will break out to the IP network at the BES meaning that you can access all intranet resources securely without establishing VPN tunnels, etc.

You can't communicate however directly with the BES' admin functions if that's what you are trying to do, there might be some ways around that by using additional (server-side) APIs or tools like for example the BlackBerry Resource Kit.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ravindrakamble

Thanks.

Can you tell me which server side API's to be used for communication with device?

Please use plain text.
mweitzel

You could use the server-side push in order to send data/content to the device, this could be send to the browser application (e.g. browser channel push) or indeed to a custom developed Java application which listens on a particular port for incoming data. Both require your server-side application to initiate an HTTP POST request in order to send data to the device.

Please see the push example application which comes as part of the BlackBerry JDE for sample code. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
ravindrakamble

Thank you very much for your great information.
Please use plain text.