Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
dananos
My Device: None

How to check if a Blackberry App (Cod File) is signed

Hello,

I recently developed an app that was rejected by Blackberry because it wasn't signed. I have the keys, but obviously didn't manage to follow the procedure correctly.

Can someone tell me how to check if a Blackberry app (Cod File) is actually signed correctly?, I don't have a blackberry phone, just an emulator.

I hope someone can help.

Fiach

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How to check if a Blackberry App (Cod File) is signed

Welcome to the forum.

I generally just run the signing tool.  It will tell you. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dananos

Thanks for your reply!

Can you tell me what to type at the command line to use the signing tool to check if a cod file is signed? it would be most helpful.

Thanks alot.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I run the following command line to start the Signing tool when I want to check this sort of thing:

%windir%\system32\java.exe -jar  "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0\binSign\SignatureTool.jar"

This is using the Singing tool that comes with JDE 4.7.  You will have to point it somewhere else, unless you have JDE 4.7 installed in the default location. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dananos

Hi,

Below is a screenshot of my signatureTool. The RCR SignerID's are marked Signed by the RRT and RBB signerID's are marked "Not Registered". If I press "Properties", then it says "Registered Signers 1, RCR".

Does this look ok?, or am I missing something?

Thanks again for all your help! :smileyhappy:

SignatureTool.png

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Unless you sign all of these, your app won't run. 

I have never really got into the detail of signing, and this is from memory.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge will help

Anyway, I believe that I have 'keys' for RRT and RBB, as well as RCR, so can sign APIs that require any of these.  I did not do anything special, I think it is standard to get all 3.  I think when you get your signing keys, you get three different files, one for each, that you need to process.  So check your signing email, there may be more that you need to do to get RRT and RBB.

Good luck, hope someone more knowledgeable happens along soon.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dananos

I may have made progress.

I saw that when I applied to Blackberry for signing keys, I got three of them, and I think that I only used one of them, (SignatureTool.jar RCR.csi), rather than all three.

I went back and registered the other two .csi files, and now the SignatureTool is showing all the files as signed.

I've submitted this back as a new release to Blackberry, and hopefully all is fine.

If you're ever in Ireland, I'll buy you a pint for your help :smileyhappy: !

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xh7000
My Device: 9780

Just a quick question - When a COD file is signed, does it modify the file in any way ?

I note that when I signed my first file yesterday the date / time field on the files did not change, even though I received all the notifications that the signing was successful

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

In my experience, yes it does change amd if you sign it sometime after you create it, the modification date/time will change.  At least that is what I see. 

Please use plain text.