Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to debug a mysterious slowdown

[ Edited ]

Any advice on how to debug a midlet that gradually begins to slow down if left running for a long time (eg. a couple of hours...)  Output from the app doesn't seem to indicate that the app itself is consuming resources.

Would it help if I had a better understanding of the JVM: output?

Message Edited by nurikabe on 11-18-2008 09:28 AM
Developer

Re: How to debug a mysterious slowdown

Presumably there is some way in the emulator to dump the list of objects but I have no idea

what it is. You'd have to suspect something like forgotten references, forgetting to clean out a

vector, etc. If you think it is memory + constant GC, you might be able to get some

info from the system memory methods. Do actually get a chronic hour glass of just notice

slower response? I assume you have ruled out network issues?

If you are doing things like exhaustive searches and failing to keep the list trimmed that

would be a suspect for speed. What does your program do, do you have no suspects?

New Developer

Thanks for the advice.  I do now think that it might be memory.  Definitely not network.  I just noticed that the app becomes progressively slower every time I return from sleep mode; possibly reallocating a lot of memory each time it wakes up.  (It has to build a fairly complex screen from an XML file.)

I"ll monitor the memory and see what happens.

Developer

You might also try using the profiler tool in the JDE. This allows you to take a snapshot of the object handles and memory usage, then run the program for awhile (or through some suspect code section) and compare a later snapshot.

Developer

This is another reason I wished you could easily run your code with the Sun JDK and no emulator as

there are more options to play around. In any case, sure the jvm maintains a lot of information on

allocations. But, it uses this to prevent you from doing anything too confusing. So, the suspect list

for problems like this, short of a jvm bug, is pretty limited. Even without a profiler or heap dump,

it probably isn't too hard to check all your loop conditions and consider if they are getting progressively

wider- do all your collections have conditions to keep their sizes limited for example? Do you have

nested loops that give your code something like O(N^2) performance problems?

Locks can be another source of slowdown, do you have everything synchronized and create conditions of

lock starvation? Don't ignore the obvious either, sleep(n) could have been inserted at some point( sounds

funny but these things do come up.

Normally the suspect list in java is quite short but it may take a while to track down without some tools.

If you can get the symptom better defined the suspect list will probably be easy to sort.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

if you use eclipse tools like checkstyle, findbugs etc might help to create better code. in this case i would also suggest to use profiling
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter