Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to develop on Blackberry 10

Hi,

what is Blackberry 10?

Is it the new QNX OS for smartphone?
Does it run COD files written for BlackBerry 7?

Developer

Re: How to develop on Blackberry 10

There is no ability to run Blackberry COD files. There is no new Java support at all. There is no backward compatibility for BB Java, unless something new has happened that I haven't heard about. The new dev environment is C++ and completely different.

This has been the talk of the list for some months - where have you been?  :smileyhappy:

Developer
My Device: Blackberry bold
My Carrier: Vodafone India

okay

So when they are releasing it and may be it would be clients choice ti choose from BB 10 or its prior java supported versions.

any how thanks for the information

Thank you
warm regards
Mohammed Aziz
Developer

Beta is released today, for example here is the dev environment and Simulator if you want to develop a native app,

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/cascades/

The BB10 phones will only run BB10 or above.  Phones running previous OSs will not be able to upgrade to BB10, 

Developer

[ Edited ]

RexDoug wrote:

There is no ability to run Blackberry COD files. There is no new Java support at all. There is no backward compatibility for BB Java, unless something new has happened that I haven't heard about. The new dev environment is C++ and completely different.

This has been the talk of the list for some months - where have you been?  :smileyhappy:

My app was one of the best seller in the financial section of the app store but I lost the interest in BB

when I heard that there is no Java in QNX, I come back here to ask if something is changed.

farewell guys, RIM is sinking, I will not sink my company with him.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

peter_strange, do you know if there is a similar forum for BB10 or a plans to have one?

Native Development forum deals with TabletOS :smileysad:

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

walkin wrote:

peter_strange, do you know if there is a similar forum for BB10 or a plans to have one?

Native Development forum deals with TabletOS :smileysad:

For the sake of these forums, TabletOS = BB10.  Tablet OS applications are forwards compatible with BlackBerry 10.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

RIM is making the same error on Nokia but Nokia chosen a better partner (Microsoft)...

If rim don't want to sink have to switch to android, don't you agree with me?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

no, i don't agree there.
Nokia had developed an own OS (Maemo) with very interesting properties, but they decided to drop it and join with Microsoft.

RIM is developing an own platform (in some aspects similar to Maemo), they take a risk, but if they succeed they will have the best mobile platform out there, together with a coherent application ecosystem.

Switching to a convoluted platform like android would make absolutely no sense for RIM whatsoever.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

simon_hain wrote:
Nokia had developed an own OS (Maemo) with very interesting properties, but they decided to drop it and join with Microsoft.

RIM is developing an own platform (in some aspects similar to Maemo), they take a risk, but if they succeed they will have the best mobile platform out there, together with a coherent application ecosystem.

Nokia failed with maemo, if Nokia failed with maemo I can't understand why RIM should success with QNX.

RIM got the first proof of the failure with the Blackberry Tablet, no one bought it, no one developed on it.