Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
VariousArtist
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How to generate COD files for OTA deployment?

I’ve stumbled across a deployment issue which I’m sure has a simple answer but it’s late in the day and I’m stumped. This was all working before so I must be doing something wrong now…

I am trying to rebuild and redeploy our BlackBerry app using the COD files via OTA. I am copying all the generated COD, JAR, files to our download server, but I get an error on the BlackBerry device at the end of the download which says that the download is failing due to “COD” file not found.

I believe that this error is occurring because there are no files of the form …-1.COD, …-2.COD, …-3.COD, etc. I only see a single COD file being generated, and a whole bunch of “debug” files.

If I put back my old files the download works fine so I know the server is setup fine.  

I'm using the BlackBerry version of the Eclipse IDE.  What is the step-by-step guide to generating all the necessary files within a project?  I'm having to pretend to run a debug test through the simulator before I can get updated files.  Surely there's a simpler way to just build the files I need for OTA deployment.

Any help greatly appreciated....

Please use plain text.
New Developer
VariousArtist

Re: How to generate COD files for OTA deployment?

Just to add some more details

When I click    

BlackBery / Sign / Sign With Signature Tool....

I get a window with all the separate "COD" files listed and successfully signed.  All the "...-1.COD", "...-2.COD", etc. files are all listed there.  But I can't see where these are in the deliverables folder -- all I see instead is the main COD and JAR files.

I can test just fine with that.  

Please use plain text.
Developer
Aviator168
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

You only need to deploy the .cod files and one .jad file. If your app is large than 64K, there will be multiple .cod files starting xxx.cod, xxx-1.cod, xxx-2.cod and so on. You can see this in the .jad file. However, the JDE puts all these .cod file inside one file (xxx.cod). You need to extract the individule .cod files for deployment. Just use winzip to extract the individule .cod files and copy them to your web server along with the .jad file. Then point the broswer to the .jad and your app will be installed.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Search for "sibling" cod files, which is what you have, for more information on this process and the reason why these are created. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

Copy all the COD files  and the JAD from the  deliverables/Web/x.x  directory  to your server.  Do no copy the ones from the Standard directory.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Please use plain text.
New Developer
VariousArtist

Thanks Steven

Doh!  I was copying them from the Standards folder instead of the Web folder as you pointed out.  It was late in the evening and I didn't see the mistake I was making.  Thanks so much for responding :-)

Please use plain text.