Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
vvtechser

How to get elegant inputs for PopupScreen (like in the Flickr app)?

I've been playing with the PopupScreen control and am interested in knowing I could reproduce a similar look (see image below).

I've already started with the PasswordPopupScreen example provided by blackberry. It got me on the right track, but I'm a bit lost with how to style the input controls to look as slick as flickr's.

For example, hosting just a RichTextField works, but its bulk and does not have the nice look and feel of the Title input feel seen below. Is this just a modified version of RichTextField or is an entirely different control?

So please, any tips, code or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Custom PopupScreen Controls

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: How to get elegant inputs for PopupScreen (like in the Flickr app)?

without knowing the app i would say they use:
- two pngs for the title area (the flickr text could also be achieved by custom text drawing).
- a labelfield for "title"
- an editfield with a custom drawing for "under the sun". can't see it clearly in your screenshot but it seems they have a color gradient in the background, iirc you can achieve it with drawtexturedpath. the placement of the text is most likely controlled by some internal logig and drawtext.
- objectchoicefields for the rest
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

GUI's are not exactly my thing but I was debating about doing something like this

with just a raw bitmap and writing/placing everything by hand. Curious to know what

limitations or issues there may be with this, esp anything with storm. I guess if you

want to preserve your app look-and-feel it may be easier this way as I have had some 

possible problems ( they are problems for me since I didnt know how to fix them ) 

with even simple components on a few different simulators.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
vvtechser

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your comments, very helpful! A few follow up question:

1. EditField with white text and border

> - an editfield with a custom drawing for "under the sun".

What do you (or anyone) recommend for me to start exploring custom drawing for EditField. Even just something simple like 1) a white background adn 2) a thin border.

2. ObjectChoiceField and visulizing a drop down list

> - objectchoicefields for the rest

In playing with objectchoicefield, the base implementation is pretty generic, It does not even seem to visualize a drop down of items.Is there a flag that I should set, below if the code I'm using for a popup:

String[] roseindia={"<none>","chanan","tapan","Amar","santosh","deepak"}; ObjectChoiceField choice = new ObjectChoiceField("Choices", roseindia, 0, Field.HIGHLIGHT_SELECT); add(choice);

3. Dropdown Arrow Elements

Also i notice a little dropdown element next a majority of controls (especially the hide/show container "More Details". Is this arrow a native UI element that I can display, or is this something custom.

Thanks

Please use plain text.