Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
cityguru
My Device: Bold 9930

Re: How to stop NFC Smart Tag App from poping up?

is TNF_WELL_KNOWN a variable to be replaced by a value? in otherwords does TNF_WELL_KNOWN stay in here or is it a placeholder?

As I wrote its just a simple text tag, looked online if I place just text its automatically classified as standard text type. for example in smartag choices when creating a tag and encoding it plain text is just placed onto the tag there is no text:djdjjdjdjd only things like sms url and others have those standards, but if using plain text like using then its considered text standard automatically.

Any other ideas why this would not prompt to make default selection. is it possible bec am using just a test app which download by going to the url containing jad file. maybe if it was uploaded and downloaded from app world it would work? Maybe the way its signed has to be done special. I have no idea am guessing at this point

Contributor
cityguru

I apologize if this ends up showing twice I subitted but then did not see the post. anyway to respond looked and its def a stanard since did not use any special tags in front like sms url etc, if u put in just text and do not specify any special type its read as text type. so entering text byitself as I did would be a considered text type but yet still no default prompt any help here would be great I just do not understand.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
jomurray
My Device: Z30

Have you tried using the built in SMart Tags applicatrion to write a standard smart poster tag to the tag and then read it again using the application.

What type of tag are you using?

Do you know what data has already been written onto the tag?

---------------------------------------
Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Found a bug? Report it here
Follow me on Twitter @jcmrim
Contributor
cityguru

Sorry for delay in responding back, still found no solution on this.  The tag is is mifare ultralight tag and it contains literally a string of data like the following

5137ee6cc21aa49efe358feae11fc9f9

There are no dashes, no spaces, no semil colon, basically it should be read like regular text.  It is picked up without problem by Android, but for whatever reason when scaning my tags or even other tags i have purchased i dont get any default diaogue box for choosing the default application, instead BOTH the native smart tag app pops up and underneath my app come up.

I am completely confused.

jomurray

Well, a tag is more than just the data that represents the payload. There is also meta data that is associated with the content such as URI, MIME type, etc. Take a look att two links below for a real world where my colleague Martin and I came across an Ultralight at DevCon in Amsterdam which didn't seem to be able to be read. It describes the technique we used to figure out that the tag was in fact malformed and didn't conform to the NFCForum specifications.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/03/nfc-troubleshooting/

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/03/nfc-troubleshooting-part-2/

Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Contributor
cityguru

But in your situation was that unable to be read? Because these tags are being read, in fact under Smart Tag, they are showing up as "Text" and then the string i refrenced in an earlier post.  The tags are definitely being read here.  The issue is why the dialogue for choosing default application is not popping up and instead the NFC smart tag is just popping up all the time.

jomurray

What I was pointing out in the links is that the content of a tag isn't just text. It's an NDEF message comprised of one or more NDEF Records as defined by the NFC Forum set of standards. NDEF records have types (Record Type Definitions [RTD]) associated with them identifying their respective payloads (URL, Text, Smart Poster, and even MIME types, etc.)

When a tag is detected the behaviour ( what content handler to launch etc.) is determined by the the type of NDEF message. Without knowing the NDEF message that is on the tag ( not just the payload of the message ) it's not possible to describe what the bahavior ought to be.

New Contributor
robtoes
My Device: Javelin 8900

I'm having the same problem. The Smart Tag app pick Sp URL perfectly but the example app that you guys post it, never get that tag.

It's a simple URL, but it never gets to listner trigger, it never pass for this method:

public void onNDEFMessageDetected(NDEFMessage message) 

It really mean a lot if could help us.

Thanks.

Contributor
cityguru

Was anyone ever able to resolve this, i know that on our end this never got resolved, all we were using was a simple string of letters and numbers, even without meta data like any NFC based device it should have just read as plain text, fact is no prompt appeared asking us which application we want to use. I use Sprint and it forces that **bleep** smart tag screen to pop up everytime in conjuction with my app.

jomurray

Let me come bak to a point that I made earlier. It's not suffieient to just say that the tag contains just a "string" or just URL and then ask why a tag is not detected. The form of an NDEF message is defined by the NFC Forum standards and these are implemented on tags in a number fo ways. For example, here is the actual content of an Untralight C tag that contains a URL ( "http://www.bbc.co.uk" ) and some Text ( "The world's greatest news organisation" )  in the form of a Smart Poster Tag ( Sp ) with language for "en" for Eglish. On the Ultralight C the Tag data starts at Page 4. As you can see it's not "just text"

So, in an application you would register interest in reading Smart Poster tag and only if the handset recognises a presented tag that conforms to this NDEF message format wil you be notified. So, if you are not being notified of a tag being presented then it's almost invariably the case that the tag contains data formatted in a way that your application has not registered interest in appropriately. 

Memory Map
----------
Page 0 : 04 0B 87 00 : ....
Page 1 : 00 00 00 01 : ....
Page 2 : 01 48 00 00 : ....
Page 3 : E1 10 16 00 : ....
Page 4 : 03 4B D1 02 : ....
Page 5 : 46 53 70 91 : .Sp.
Page 6 : 01 15 55 00 : ..U.
Page 7 : 68 74 74 70 : http
Page 8 : 3A 2F 2F 77 : ://w
Page 9 : 77 77 2E 62 : ww.b
Page 10 : 62 63 2E 63 : bc.c
Page 11 : 6F 2E 75 6B : o.uk
Page 12 : 51 01 29 54 : Q..T
Page 13 : 02 65 6E 54 : .enT
Page 14 : 68 65 20 77 : he w
Page 15 : 6F 72 6C 64 : orld
Page 16 : 27 73 20 67 : 's g
Page 17 : 72 65 61 74 : reat
Page 18 : 65 73 74 20 : est
Page 19 : 6E 65 77 73 : news
Page 20 : 20 6F 72 67 : org
Page 21 : 61 6E 69 73 : anis
Page 22 : 61 74 69 6F : atio
Page 23 : 6E FE 2E 75 : nþ.u
Page 24 : 6B FE 31 34 : kþ14
Page 25 : 34 34 32 32 : 4422
Page 26 : 30 33 FE 00 : 03..
Page 27 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 28 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 29 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 30 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 31 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 32 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 33 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 34 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 35 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 36 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 37 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 38 : 00 00 00 00 : ....
Page 39 : 00 00 00 00 : ....