Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: How to stop the receiving of the emails in the device through programming?

alert matrix controls the alerts, not the mails.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

What AlertMatrix does has already been described above by RexDoug - as he described it, it was not what you wanted. 

Previously you have told us that this was what you wanted to achieve:

"when ever i am going for the sleep ,i could stop the mail for the 5-6 hours according to the time set by me.when the 5-6 hours is completed ,again mails start coming to my inbox automatically."

As Simon has said you can do this effectively by putting your device in standby.  You could also do it by changing the notification profile so that the device does not notify you when new emails arrive.  Neither of these approaches stop the emails going into the InBox, but they stop the user being notified of this which is the same thing according to this use case. 

So do you really have a different scenario to the one you described?  What exactly are you trying to do and why are you trying to do this?  Please explain the why?  Who is going to benefit from this facility and in what situations will they benefit?  Why would someone want an app that did this? 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amrinder_singh_003
My Device: 8900

Hi Simon

This is the client requirement for us to make the project with some UI to delay the mails for specific time .

That why , i am concerning of  completing the application with the whole functionality .The stopping of the mails is the module which we need to finish in very less time.

Regards

Amrinder Singh

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

if you don't accept the "there is no way to do that" answer you better find another way. best of luck with that.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amrinder_singh_003

Hi Simon 

Thanks for the reply and concern .By this post ,I would try to convince the client ,that it is not possible to stop the mails in the inbox for the specific time.

Regards

Amrinder Singh

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Agree with SImon. 

Clients are not always right and they often don't know the impact of what they are asking for.  It is your job as a BlackBerry developer to think through what they are asking for and give them what they actually want.  Too many people blindly do what the spec says rather than questioning it. 

So go back to your client and find a good use case for this functionality.  If you find a good use case then we will be motivated to help you and even RIM will try to help.  At present I can not see a good use case for this and so I'm going with the "can't be done answer" too. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amrinder_singh_003

Hi Simon/Peter

Thanks for your valubale suggestion  :smileyhappy:

Regards

Amrinder Singh

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook

Just to put my two cents into this conversation again. As I stated before, this is possible and use case for this would be to stop work emails from going to your phone while you are physically at work in front of your pc. I have an application that does just that and allows you to schedule times when you do not want to keep the emails on your phone. It also keeps the emails incase there is one that you need to restore and keep on your device.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

@CMY  I reviewed your "solution" and disagree that this will do what the OP has requested. 

As I understand it, the rational behind your use case is to stop the potential duplicate processing of emails. 

I have no idea what his use case actually was (he didn't either it appears), all he knew was that he did not want the emails to arrive until a set time. 

So your  solution does not meet this requirement because the emails actually arrive.  And I think the "arriving" will cause the mortifications to be driven on the BlackBerry and with your 'deletion', the emails are not directly available on device once the 'don't see' period had elapsed. 

In addition, your use case does not match his requirement.  If the problem you were solving is the duplicate processing of emails, then you don't solve that problem by stopping emails arriving on device. 

But I agree that an implementation like yours could be a potential solution to what he wanted.  By the same token, I believe that turning the notifications off (like AlertMatrix appears to do) could meet his requirements.  Putting the device in standby could meet his requirements. 

But all he has been told he has to stop emails.  None of the solutions proposed stops emails.  They all appear to stop emails.  But the only solution he can accept is to stop emails because that is what he has been told to do.  So no solution is acceptable to him.  But any of the solutions may be acceptable to the client.  We don't know, as we don't know why the client wants the emails stopped. 

Let us take a real world example. 

Residents of a suburb tell the town council that they must stop buses between 11 and 6.  Do the council stop the busses?  They have a legal responsibility to run them!  Rather than stopping them, a better solution could be:

a) Electric buses because the real problem was the diesel buses were noisy

b) Policemen on the busses because the real problem was that the buses were bringing thefts into the area

c) Rerouting the buses because the real problem was the residents were having a street party

d) Smaller buses, because the real problem was in the evening, with all the residents home, the cars parked made roads too narrow for the bigger buses. 

Using this example, he has been told to stop the buses.  But not why.  Unless he knows why, he can't propose an appropriate solution.  All he can say is that he can't.  In this situation the council would talk to the residents.  Our OP needs to talk to his client. 

BTW in this example, I think your solution is like (c). 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook

I agree that they all could be solutions or none of them could be; depending on what the client actually wants. My point was that it is possible to stop and or delay the emails to the device.

And with my application, the user is able to choose which account(s) they want to be blocked and the time(s) that they want them blocked. So it doesn't stop all emails, just the account(s) the user wants. Also, the emails are still on the device and can be restored individually or all at once to be made as if they had never been deleted. But that is left up to the user and not made to happen as soon as the blocked period expires.
Please use plain text.