Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
rjsdavis
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How you update an installed application with updated .cod files on Blackberry Storm?

Hi there

I've been emailed some application software for my Blackberry Storm 9500. I've successfully managed to install the base software using the normal BB Desktop Manager software, however, there are four more folders also sitting in there, that look they are there to be installed, to update the software - the folders are names "4.2.1", "4.3", "4.5" and "4.6" - from my limited knowledge, I think these refer to differing operating systems on different blackberrys...

I'm assuming that I would need to install the .cod file from the 4.6 folder, however, I just can't manage it all. From the desktop manager, I can only try to update the handset's o/s, but I can't actually update individual applications that I can see!

Can anyone advise how I should do this, as it's completely defeating me?! Be gentle... I'm new!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,841
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How you update an installed application with updated .cod files on Blackberry Storm?

Those numbers refer to versions of the Desktop Manager softare, not a device OS.

Ignore the folders if you do have Desktop Manager up and running fine.

See,... very gentle.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Developer
rjsdavis

Re: How you update an installed application with updated .cod files on Blackberry Storm?

Hey J!

Thanks for the reply - you were right.... very gentle. However, I don't think I understand what to do next!

I understand the point about it relating to desktop manager versions - I use 4.7, which was on the CD that came with the 9500 in the box. Does that mean I can't use any of the .cod files? If not, bugger. Ifso, presume I should use the 4.6 version?

However, I still don't understand how I go about using the .cod file in the folder to actually update the software - is there some secret functionality within the desktop manager that I'm missing?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,841
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

There is nothing for you to use there.

If you have Desktop Manager 4.7 installed, enjoy. Forget about the folders. There is nothing there down install.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

It would appear you have the OS installed just fine, but it doesn't appear you have the application that you were emailed installed.

I hope, as well as the cod files, you were also emailed an alx.  Create a folder for these, it does not have to be anywhere specific.  place the cod and alx files into the folder.

Then, in your Desktop Manager, selected Application Loader, then press the Browse button, and Browse to the alx you have placed in the folder.  Select it.  It should now appear on the list of software and you should be able to install it.

Hope this makes sense, and is, in fact, the answer to the question you are asking, rather than the answer to the question I think you are asking....

Please use plain text.
New Developer
rjsdavis

Hi Peter

Many thanks indeed for your reply, and yes, the software was already installed in exactly the same way as you describe, using the .alx file - and this installed version 1.00.00 of the software on the Storm.

However, whilst the .cod files are also sitting there, the Desktop Manager doesn't seem to recognise them at all. I am assuming that these upgrade the base software already installed, but am unsure what a .cod file actually is. I've tried browsing for them using the Desktop Software, but it won't acknowledge the file type, therefore can't do anything with it....

Therefore, still stumped. Should I actually be trying to do anything with these .cod files in any case? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

The DM looks for alx files, not cod file.  If you open the alx file (using Notepad), you will find that it references the cod files.  An alx is supposed to represent an application.  The cod files are the modules in the application (like the *exe files in Windows).

If you didn't get an alx file with the cods that were shipped, ask for one.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
rjsdavis

Thanks again Peter. God, I must be really dumb, as I still don't fully get it!

I've got both the alx files AND the cod files. If you have a look at the original post, the COD files are grouped into the various folders, with various names, which I thought were linked to different O/S versions, but according to J, they are actually linked to DM versions!

The software is installed - the ALX file was fine. Still don't know how to access or do anything with the COD files. The software on the phone doesn't seem to be interested in them, and the DM doesn't want to do anything with them either. Therefore, the relevant one has either been accessed and installed during the process where the ALX was actually installed (much like a cabinet file or DLL in Windows), OR they play no use whatsoever!

There doesn't appear to be anyway to access or install the COD files using anything that I've got. Therefore, still whacking my head with the handset! (or at least an old nokia one....!) 

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

the alx file is only a link to the cod file. the DM loads the alx-file, looks up the information about the cod and loads the cod onto the device.
Within the cod there is the compiled software.

Installing OTA is similar. The jad-file contains parameters and links to the cod-file.

Using the javaloader.exe (ships with the JDE) you can install cod-files directly.

There is also an activeX plugin (that uses javaloader) to load cod-files onto a device.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
rjsdavis

Thanks Simon - I think I've got it now!
Please use plain text.