Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
Gazzi
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

I can't find .bar file

Hi,

I developed a native blackberry app in eclipse indigo with Blackberry Java SDK version 7.1.0. I tested in simulator, everthing is ok but when i look my workspace, could't find .bar file. There are .cod, .cad, .jar vs. files but .bar file isn't. Where can i find this .bar file or what operations i should do to generate .bar file?

Thanks...

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: I can't find .bar file

bar file is the application packaging mechanism for BB10 or PlayBook.

jad/cod/alx is for BBOS (i.e. BB7 or earlier).

There is no support for developing applications using BB Java that will run on BB10 or PlayBook.  So you won't find a bar file when developing in Java. 

For completeness I should say that Java Android apk can be converted to a bar file (with certain restrictions), but not a BBOS Java application. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Gazzi

Thanks for reply,

I wanna ask that also, which platform you suggest me to develop bb10 app and easily get bar file? Because I installed Eclipse Indigo and Blackberry Java SDK version 7.1.0 to develop bb10 app from Blackberry's web page but in this way i couldn't get bar file and losed time.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

go to https://developer.blackberry.com/
and take care of which platforms are supported.

bb java is not supported on either bb10 or playbook.
you will have to decide what you want to use for bb10:
- native(c++)/cascades, webworks/html5, adobe air etc
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Gazzi

Developing in Java easier than C++ or other platforms for me, That's why I wanna develop an android app  then convert apk to bar file but I fear conversion restrictions, my app is very simple, when I click app's icon, browser will open with a url, my real application is web based application(aspx). I want to connect my web based application's url via the blackberry app. Is it possible? Is apk to bar conversion a risk for this simple app?

Thanks...

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

[ Edited ]

Follow the Android link from the URL Simon gave you.  You should find a section with restrictions.

I don't believe anything you have suggested is restricted, so I think you should be able to do it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Gazzi

I developed an android app and convert apk to bar file but we want to deploy app to bb10 device via bes server, we get this error :

Qnx/Android is not supported

Which platform should I choose to develop bb10 app? So I don't want  any problem with bar file generation and bes server deployment. Is it suitable to develop with C++?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

You need to move to the right forum:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Android-Runtime-Development/bd-p/adt

That said, your question about deploying apps is interesting and does apply to other people who may be converting Java apps to BB10. So this might be interesting information for other readers on this forum..  However it might also be wrong, so read with caution.

My understanding is that the only method of deploying software to BB10 apps to devices, aside from side loading while in development mode, is via App World, now Blackberry World.  BB are extending this to support Enterprise Applications - and Enterprise Administrators will be able to select applications from Enterprise BB World, and target these to their managed devices. 

So the concept of pushing from the Server has disappeared.  As has the concept of downloading apps from a web site or side loading using the Desktop Manager. 

It is worse for Android apps.  Android apps will NOT be accepted for Enterprise BlackBerry World, because the Work side of Balance does NOT include Android runtime.  It is only supported in the Personal side.

So if you are planning on writing a corporate application you will have to develop it in one of the other supported platforms, such as HTML5 or Cascades or WebWorks.  Not Android. 

And even if you do this, you will have to get the app on Enterprise BlackBerry World and of course your corporate customer must be running BES 10.

I personally have not yet had to fight this battle, so this is all just my understanding.  But I am developing a corporate BB10 application so will be facing this situation myself in the next few months.  Then I will know for sure!

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

writing a native app that just launches an URL should be done within 2 hours, without any c++ knowledge whatsoever.
just take a sample app, add a few lines of code, done.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Similarly in Cascades using the invoke framework.  And probably even easier in Air and WebWorks!

Please use plain text.