Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: I give up. Been stuck for 3 mos. I'm willing to pay $100 to anyone that can tell me how to do th

If you want to run "bare explorer" the whole situation is the same.

It is not documented and can be changed in future without prior notice neither any support. And your product will become useless for new device os update.

If you want to implement bare file explorer take a look at fileexplorerdemo that comes with the JDE 4.3 samples.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Cheetah
My Device: Not Specified

Re: I give up. Been stuck for 3 mos. I'm willing to pay $100 to anyone that can tell me how to do th

Yes. i understand. My product already implements a 'bare' fileexplorer that i modified from the fileexplorer sample code. It works well.
It's just that i needed the Rich explorer. hard to explain why.

I really appreciate all your help with this. I'm sorry I took so much of your time.
Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Developer

I see no problem to make Rich Media explorer like as standard blackberry media explorer.

Implement a screen with focusable BitmapField instances, associate relevant icons to these instances, navigate between and get files via standard blackberry mechanisms.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Cheetah

I would but I would need access to playlists since playlists are in the BB rich explorer.

So do you know if playlists are accessible and 'executeable / invokeable' from a 3rd party app?
Please use plain text.
Developer

There is no documented way to access playlists.

as far as I understand playlists are stored in persistent store as objects, they are not stored as files. And I see no reliable way to work with playlists from a custom third-party application.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Cheetah

Ok. Thank you for your time.
Take care.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
ttahir

You can use something like ApplicationManager.getApplicationManager().launch("net_rim_bb_file_explorer?media")

Using Application Descriptors will also work, just remember to pass in the appropriate argument (see http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800620/How_To_...). If you want, you can also go straight to "playlists", "music", "video", or "pictures".

Please use plain text.
Developer
emac
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

actually I am not hunting for the 100 bucks - but I have written in the last days a application called BBFileScout and that app is able to launch any kind of MediaFiles - I am not sure yet, what you are trying to do (what's your actual problem)... but you can download BBFileScout and tell me, if this app is doing what you would like to do - if it's doing what you like to do it#s np to send you the part of the source code...

Get bbfilescout from http://bb.emacf1.com/bbfilescout.html

Right now I am planing to extend it so that you can multiple select audio files and create a playlist from there - that's why I have came across your post.

Regards

Matthias

[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
Please use plain text.
Developer
emac
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

forgot to mention a important issue - when BBFileScout does not open by default automatically media files, then go to the options (BBFileScout) and then enable 'Force BB media content handler for images, audio & video files'
[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
Please use plain text.
New Developer
coolthumbs

[ Edited ]

I assume you've either solved this issue or moved on to other things by now (months later), but I figured I'd post in case anyone else is looking for this information.  I'd wasted a few days on it myself.

The following code is from something I made a while back in JDE 4.5.  While the playlist is invokeable I wouldn't call it accessible - you don't get an object you can control from your code (no making a front end for the playlist using this method).

You'll need a playlist called "NameOfPlaylist.m3u" in your SDCard music directory.  For your purposes you'd have to extract the String url from the rich explorer to match the playlist name with whatever the user had chosen from the rich explorer.

import javax.microedition.content.Invocation;
import javax.microedition.content.Registry;
String urlOfFile = "file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/NameOfPlaylist.m3u";
Invocation invocation = new Invocation(urlOfFile);
Registry reg = Registry.getRegistry "net.rim.device.api.content.BlackBerryContentHandler");
try { reg.invoke(invocation); } catch (Exception e) { };

Please use plain text.