Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
sandeepkumar03
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

IDE for development

Hi All,

We have mainly two IDEs, BlackBerry JDE and Eclipse with plugin (Havent used Netbeans). BlackBerry JDE has its own folder structure and it doesnt gives errors directly while editing the code similar to Eclipse.

Where as Eclipse generates src folder and even it mandates resource files should be unders src folder. 

So in case a person who is comfortable with Eclipse. Somewhere i read Eclipse with plugin not good for production related envt. If i want to use Eclipse for editing and BlackBerry JDE for other purpose. Will there be any difficulty? 

Is it a good practice to do that or just using BlackBerry JDE would be advisable.

Or it is easy to use both seamlessely. Any tutorial or points for this.

Please excuse, if that sounds confused. I am a newbie and just trying to figure out the development evnt for Blackberry.

Thanks in advance,

Sandeep

Please use plain text.
Developer

Re: IDE for development

You can go for any IDE i.e. (Eclipse or BB JDE) and there is no problem in developing app. with eclipse also. If you are comfortable in Eclipse then go for eclipse even eclipse plugin having some more advantages like preprocessing and localization. :smileyhappy:
Deepesh Gupta
Please use plain text.
Developer
sandeepkumar03

Hi Deepesh,

Yeah i agree. Only thought comes to my mind is, if i want to import my project from BlackBerry JDE, as the folder structure is different. We might have to do necessary changes.

BlackBerry -> Workpace -> com/company/<project_name>. Under project name you would have img or resource folder and java source files

Eclipse -> Workspace -> Project_Folder/src/com/infosys - Under this you will have java source files. And img and other things will be under Project_Folder.

Only thing i thought is because of this, would there be any problem in porting from Eclipse to BlackBerry and vice versa. Or it would work with some little changes. As in future when we have to think about production envt and deployment on devic, we may have to do that. Currently i have no idea about deployment. If it is just JAR and JAD deployment, then that shouldn't be a issue.

May be silly question, but please understand a newbie point of view :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Sandeep

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Deployment of BlackBerry applications is similar regardless of the IDE used to create them.

You can also open the same project in the BlackBerry JDE and BlackBerry JDE Plug-in for Eclipse and use either for development (just at the exact same time).

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.