Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
ikaris
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Icon in Simulator, no icon on Blackberry

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

I recently started getting into BB development.

I installed the JDK, JDE, etc... and created the simple HelloWorld example found here:

http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/27869/0/page/1

I then tested on the Device Simulator, and everything went well.  I could see the icon and launch the program.  Great !

Then, I wanted to test it on my new Rogers BB Bold with 4.6.0.125.  I installed the program through a JAD file, which worked.

However, I have no icon to launch the program like I did in the Simulator !  I looked all over and I can't find it.

Any ideas ?

Extra info:

If I look in the Options > Advanced > Applications, my program is there.  However, if I try to Delete, it doesn't do anything.

Using JDE 4.5.0.7 and j2sdk 1.4.2_18

When I created an ALX and tried to install through the BB Desktop Manager, I get the error message: No additional applications designed for your device were found.

Thanks !

Message Edited by ikaris on 09-05-2008 01:01 AM
Developer
rafo

Re: Icon in Simulator, no icon on Blackberry

[ Edited ]

Several points:

1. JDE version should be less or equal to the Handheld OS version
  2. If you get "No additional applications designed for your device were found." - therefore there is mismatch between Blackberry desktop software version and Handheld OS version (BB Desktop Software is too old according to the Handheld OS software). To resolve this update your Blackberry Desktop Software to the most recent version.
  3. I look at your code, why there is no package declaration ? Declare package to avoid any conflicts between your classes and existing BB classes written on to device.
  4. When you install your application run: javaloader -usb dir to make sure that your module successfully written into device memory.
Message Edited by rafo on 09-05-2008 01:16 PM
----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
Developer
peter_strange

Quick answers to some of your questions:

Firstly you should be running a later level of Java for the 4.5 JDE.  See:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/downloads/jde.jsp

I would recommend you upgrade your Java, though in this case I'm not sure it is significant.  So I don't think this will resolve your problem.

With respect to your alx, unless you have installed the latest (4.6) Desktop manager or an OS for your device, you will not be able to load via the App Loader.  Two possible fixes.  You can update the Devices.xml file to include the Bold or download and install DM 4.6.

You can download the 4.6 Desktop Manager from here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

However these suggestions are not going to help with your not seeing the icon.  I presume you have looked in Downloads for it?

Can I suggest that you download something else from the Web and see if that works correctly - that will help us work out whether the problem is with your BB or your Application. 

New Developer
ikaris

Thanks, upgrading to JDE 4.6 fixed the problem.

I don't know why I was running 4.5.

4.6 also has the Bold emulator, which is great as well.

Thanks again for your prompt replies !