Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: Icons and browser channel push

I'm not sure what you're asking for in #1.  Can you elaborate?

#2 can be done by sending a push to the user via their BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  This does require access to a user's BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  You can push based on the user's email address or BlackBerry PIN.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka
My Device: Not Specified

I am talking to RIM re the BES but regarding the first question, I went to the links you suggested and they were helpful but mostly , if not exclusively, they concerned the IDE and has plenty of screen shots. However, there were no illustrations of what the end result should look like: what does the gui put into the jad file, how does the phone know there are multiple app entries , etc. I don't use the gui and invoke rapc from the command line. The phone ends up talking to a web server to download a jad and then finally a cod file. I can follow the instructions for the IDE and examine the command line in the IDE build box but it would be easier if I knew what ended up in the jad file

or on the command line so I didn't have to reverse engineer the thing. It is probably obvious once you have some familiarity with the tools but if I miss something in the menu or need to deviate from the options in the IDE, it would be nice if I had some way to modify the command lines without guessing. No big deal, just a nice thing to have.

I've got a situation where I need to modify source code ( since apparently not all JDE's can read parameters from the JAD file ) for each build and then make special builds for different target versions ( 4.x.y ). This needs to be automated to be practical - it is difficult since java doesn't have a preprocessor but awk works just fine ( although in the past I have used the c++ preprocessor to generate "pure java code " on multi-build source code ). So, I would need for each custom build to generate all the extra stuff for multiple app entry points- it wouldn't be very feasible to do this manually.

Right now, I am set up for limited preprocessing ( using awk to replace a few parameters), auto signing and upload and notification ( sending a link to my cell phone ). This works well for simple stuff but I'd like to make sure it can accomodate everything I will need without having to do more than a few scripts and maybe a Makefile.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

To a user, Browser Channel pushes can appear in one of 2 ways.  As an icon on the home screen or as an entry in their message list (with their email, etc...).  Clicking on either opens the web content.  You can also perform a cache push that doesn't show anything to the user, but simply places the content in the browser's cache.

There is no preview or GUI screen editor for BlackBerry Java applications.  The BlackBerry simulator can be used to test and debug Java applications as well as browser pushes.

The BlackBerry JDE doesn't have any built in support for pre-processing, however people have created custom automated build environments.  There are a few threads on this in the forum, but it isn't something we have documenation on.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Sorry, I'm sloppy with English sometimes but that time I did mean what the PHONE sees, not the phone USER.

That is, the end product of the development environment is not yet-another-graphic-user-interface (yagui).

Rather, it is a set of binary things, probably a jad and cod file  ( along with some server interaction for

OTA download but that is another issue). The PHONE sees these files, it doesn't see a menu from an IDE GUI.

The only reason I ask, and attempt to clarify the point, is the joke people somtimes make about

MS that "the gui is the app." For sure, apps on resource constrained phones are all about user interaction,

but there is still some "thing" that isn't a GUI that goes between the development environment and the phone.

I was just asking that the samples show an "end product" that is something like the relevant lines in the jad

file to tell the PHONE what the user tried to do in the GUI ( not that those are ever constraing or confused, LOL).

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
washinl

Ok, I am having the same issue and while I'm sure its easy once I understand what a correct example would be, I do not yet understand.

Could you post an example of what you use for your computer name?  I have a notes database that runs a java function to send the URL to the blackberry.  The send works fine, but I can't figure out how to change the darn icon!

Any help would be truly appreciated!:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

The icons for a browser channel push are specified in these two headers:

X-RIM-Push-UnRead-Icon-URL
X-RIM-Push-Read-Icon-URL

These headers contain URLs that point to the image you wish to use.  For an exmaple you can have a look at the browserpushdemo that is included with the BlackBerry JDE (BlackBerry JDE x.x.x\samples\com\rim\samples\server\browserpushdemo).

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.